Old 21-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Acgelok

Default CO2 vs air

Hi y'all, can any-one on this forum tell me witch is heavier D.I.Y. CO2 or
atmospheric air (air we breathe)? It has to do with an air-space at the top of
my D.I.Y. CO2 setup. I dont know if I should vent it or ignore it T.I.A. to any
and all who reply P.S. this is not a trol

With thanks and Regards Art
Old 22-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Dave Millman

(Acgelok) wrote in message ...
Hi y'all, can any-one on this forum tell me witch is heavier D.I.Y. CO2 or
atmospheric air (air we breathe)? It has to do with an air-space at the top of
my D.I.Y. CO2 setup. I dont know if I should vent it or ignore it

Tightly enclosed tanks can accumulate CO2 in the air space, and will
need an air pump with airstone to correct this. These tanks had this
problem:

http://www.svas.info/Newsletter/sam.html

When it was first set up, the tank on the left had fish gasping at the
surface less than half a day after CO2 was turned on.

On the other hand, most tanks with even a little air circulation under
the hood do not need any help. The CO2 diffuses into the atmosphere
pretty quickly.
Old 23-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Acgelok

Thanks a bunch for the info. every one. I've now extended the pickup tubes in
CO2 generators to within 1" of the fluid level thus hopefully eliminating air
buildup in the difusers Thanks again and
regards Art
Old 23-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Dunter Powries

Acgelok wrote in message
Thanks a bunch for the info. every one. I've now extended the pickup tubes

in
CO2 generators to within 1" of the fluid level thus hopefully eliminating

air
buildup in the difusers Thanks again and
regards Art

Then hopefully you're not using plastic soda bottles hooked up to
powerheads, because the suction may collapse the bottle just enough for the
tubes to contact the contents of the bottle and... whoops!

Seriously, though, it really doesn't matter how far into the bottle the
tubing extends. After the first half hour or so the yeasties have consumed
all the oxygen and the process has gone anaerobic, subsequent to which the
airspace in the generator consists entirely of yeast farts, i.e. CO2.

kush