GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How much water movement in 55G planted tank? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/48662-how-much-water-movement-55g-planted-tank.html)

Harry Muscle 15-12-2003 09:03 PM

How much water movement in 55G planted tank?

I'm hopefully gonna be buying most of my equipment for my upcoming 55G
planted tank on Boxing Day (I think it's a Canadian thing ... lots of sales)
and I'm wondering if I should pick up a power head also to help out with
water movement. So far the only thing that I have planned to move water
around is the canister filter, a Filstar XP2, rated at 270gph (roughly the
same as a Fluval 304). Will that be enough water movement? Too much? I'm
planning on making it an average community tank with as many plants as I can
keep alive :).

Thanks,
Harry

Giancarlo Podio 19-12-2003 07:13 PM

How much water movement in 55G planted tank?

I think the XP2 will give you sufficient water movement. You can also
personalize the output using a spray bar or other method to customize
the flow and current. I use an Eheim 2217 on the 55 gallon and it
provides more than enough current, I actually had to slow it down a
little at first until the filter became a little dirty. Now it's
perfect.

I have tried an extra powerhead and while the extra current seems to
help reduce the accumulation of any dust algae on the glass, it is an
eyesore in such a tank and difficult to hide.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio