GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/51370-aqua-medic-500-co2-reactor.html)

The Kenosha Kid 31-01-2004 04:05 AM

Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor

Can this unit be used as a stand alone unit without routing the output
to a filter, i.e. just venting its output to the tank?

Robert H 31-01-2004 09:42 AM

Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor

The Kenosha Kid wrote in message . ..
Can this unit be used as a stand alone unit without routing the output
to a filter, i.e. just venting its output to the tank?

Thats what it is designed for, except it has to be hooked up to a
small pump or powerhead, you can't hook it up to a filter. The pump
pushes water thru the top of the reactor, and the force of the water
pushes the C02 bubble down the coil inside the reactor. You do not
want a pump with to fast a flow rate in order for this thing to work
properly.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com

The Kenosha Kid 01-02-2004 03:03 AM

Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor

On 31 Jan 2004 01:40:03 -0800, (Robert H)
wrote:

You do not
want a pump with to fast a flow rate in order for this thing to work
properly.

Thank you very much for that reply.

I assume that is the reason for the valve after the water input to the
regulator.

Aqua Medic supplied three pages with four figures in the instructions
which accompanied the unit. They did a good job with the literature.

However they were a skosh coy about the use of the valve on what they
label as the "Output Adapter". Moreover, the illustration they use
shows a hex headed threaded valve actuator and the unit I received is
a built-in spool valve which goes from full flow to full block in a
quarter turn..

I assume I turn the spool valve until there is sufficient back
pressure to get water to flow into the regulator. Is this correct?

Please do not get me wrong. I find their documentation as good or
better than anything else in the field. I also know how the technical
illustrations can get behind with the model changes.

The Kenosha Kid 01-02-2004 04:05 AM

Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:02:38 GMT, The Kenosha Kid
wrote:

I assume I turn the spool valve until there is sufficient back
pressure to get water to flow into the regulator. Is this correct?

There is a little dain bramage at the old Bar S tonight.

"flow into the regulator" should read flow into the reactor.

Robert H 01-02-2004 12:12 PM

Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor

wrote:

I assume I turn the spool valve until there is sufficient back
pressure to get water to flow into the regulator. Is this correct?

There is a little dain bramage at the old Bar S tonight.

"flow into the regulator" should read flow into the reactor.

The water from the pump does not actually go into the reactor, it goes
straight thru the top.

The Kenosha Kid 01-02-2004 07:51 PM

Aqua Medic 500 CO2 Reactor

On 1 Feb 2004 04:04:48 -0800, (Robert H) wrote:
"flow into the regulator" should read flow into the reactor.

The water from the pump does not actually go into the reactor, it goes
straight thru the top.

The Aqua Medic Figure 2 shows a T junction with the valve on the
downstream (away from the pump) side of the T.

They show arrows , indicating flow I guess, going into the reactor
branch of the T as well as going straight thruput the T into the tank.

When I turn the valve to where the line of the handle is in the
direction of flow, most of the flow (when I blow through it) goes into
the reactor branch and less, perhaps 1/4 as much goes straight through
the T. When I turn the valve to where the line of the handle is
across the direction of flow, all the flow goes into the reactor
branch of the T and none goes straight through it.

Is this what I should expect?