Old 08-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Chris_S

Default Eradicating BBA : Part-2

Some of you wanted me to repost after I bleached the tank. So here ya go.
I did it a week ago and all of the BBA is gone. I took painstaking steps to
make sure none of the old water got back into the sterile tank. Clean room
procedures. Bleached all equipment. Put the fish into a bucket first to
rinse for 15 minutes, then transferred into another clean 20G tank. After
the 100G setup was bleached, then next day I moved the fish from the 20G
into a fresh clean bucket again to rinse them for 15 minutes, then put them
back into the 100G. So the fish got rinsed both going in and out - twice.

No fish were lost. Nearly all of the plants took it really well. There is
only one fern that has died way back and may or may not make it, but all of
the other plants are putting out massive new growth after only a week.

The tank already looks great. Fish like it better, and the plants are
growing much faster. No BBA is a wonderful thing. Unless there is some
somewhere that survived on a plant somehow - it is gone. The BBA seemed
to die very quickly in the 1/20 bleach. After 4 minutes it was already
turning brown and then white. Chlorine sure does the trick on algae yet the
plants take it very well. Some did not even loose a single leave and stayed
green throughout the process.

The little Octosincous guys seem to be very happy eating the dead White BBA
too. I guess it must taste better now after its dead.

My only regret is I should have done this years ago. So simple and so
effective. Works great.

Chris.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Marvin Hlavac

Some of you wanted me to repost after I bleached the tank. So here ya go.
I did it a week ago and all of the BBA is gone. I took painstaking steps

make sure none of the old water got back into the sterile tank. Clean

room
procedures. Bleached all equipment.

Good job Chris. Thanks for sharing with everyone. Now put 3 SAE's there and
they will never let that happen again.

The little Octosincous guys seem to be
very happy eating the dead White BBA
too. I guess it must taste better now after its dead.

You preffer cooked food too don't you :-)

--
Regards,
Marvin Hlavac

Old 12-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Rick

"Chris_S" wrote in message
[...]

see how much better it feels to have a nice clean tank. Now watch it very
carefully for any signs of it returning however in my case it never came
back.

Rick