Old 21-05-2004, 07:10 AM
kevin.gomez

Default Rasbora

Hi,

I have a 20gal planted tank at work and something strange (to me) happened
this week. Some tank info first;

filter - Fluval 204 (with carbon,biomax, phosgard media) + small rio
recirculation pump
lighting - 2*55W compact fluorescent * 8hrs/day
pH - 6.8
temp - 25C
CO2 system disabled most of the time
plants (probably irrelevant);
Hygrophila difformis
Vallisneria americana
Echinodorus tenellus
Aponogeton ulvaceus
Cryptocoryne albida
Nymphaea lotus
Microsorum pteropus
Riccia fluitans
Fish;
7 harlequin rasbora
3 ottocinclus
20 mostly small guppies

The guppies have been multiplying too rapidly and I've been removing them
(and giving them to my friendly pet store) as often and aggressively as I
can without wrecking the plants.

The 7 Rasbora have been in the tank for over a year (close to 2). Into this
environment I introduced 10 new Rasbora (younger). Over the next 2 days
**all** the 7 older rasbora died. None of the other fish were affected.

Can anyone kindly tell me what happened?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Old 25-05-2004, 07:07 PM
RedForeman ©®

|| Hi,
|| I have a 20gal planted tank at work and something strange (to me)
|| happened this week. Some tank info first;
|| filter - Fluval 204 (with carbon,biomax, phosgard media) + small rio
|| recirculation pump
|| lighting - 2*55W compact fluorescent * 8hrs/day
|| pH - 6.8
|| temp - 25C
|| CO2 system disabled most of the time
|| plants (probably irrelevant);
|| Hygrophila difformis
|| Vallisneria americana
|| Echinodorus tenellus
|| Aponogeton ulvaceus
|| Cryptocoryne albida
|| Nymphaea lotus
|| Microsorum pteropus
|| Riccia fluitans
|| Fish;
|| 7 harlequin rasbora
|| 3 ottocinclus
|| 20 mostly small guppies
|| The guppies have been multiplying too rapidly and I've been removing
|| them (and giving them to my friendly pet store) as often and
|| aggressively as I can without wrecking the plants.
|| The 7 Rasbora have been in the tank for over a year (close to 2).
|| Into this environment I introduced 10 new Rasbora (younger). Over
|| the next 2 days **all** the 7 older rasbora died. None of the other
|| fish were affected.
|| Can anyone kindly tell me what happened?
|| Thanks in advance,
|| Kevin

7 fish purchased at the same time, were likely from the same mother, thus,
lifespan would be roughly the same, so if all else is equal, 2years is good
ro a rasbora, I'd say it was just old age...

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

Old 26-05-2004, 05:04 AM
Dances With Ferrets

Sounds like it was definitely evil spirits, a curse, or voodoo.
Inquire with your local pet store about malochia or evil spirit test
kits. :-)~
Old 26-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Dick

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:41:50 -0400, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

|| Hi,
|| I have a 20gal planted tank at work and something strange (to me)
|| happened this week. Some tank info first;
|| filter - Fluval 204 (with carbon,biomax, phosgard media) + small rio
|| recirculation pump
|| lighting - 2*55W compact fluorescent * 8hrs/day
|| pH - 6.8
|| temp - 25C
|| CO2 system disabled most of the time
|| plants (probably irrelevant);
|| Hygrophila difformis
|| Vallisneria americana
|| Echinodorus tenellus
|| Aponogeton ulvaceus
|| Cryptocoryne albida
|| Nymphaea lotus
|| Microsorum pteropus
|| Riccia fluitans
|| Fish;
|| 7 harlequin rasbora
|| 3 ottocinclus
|| 20 mostly small guppies
|| The guppies have been multiplying too rapidly and I've been removing
|| them (and giving them to my friendly pet store) as often and
|| aggressively as I can without wrecking the plants.
|| The 7 Rasbora have been in the tank for over a year (close to 2).
|| Into this environment I introduced 10 new Rasbora (younger). Over
|| the next 2 days **all** the 7 older rasbora died. None of the other
|| fish were affected.
|| Can anyone kindly tell me what happened?
|| Thanks in advance,
|| Kevin

7 fish purchased at the same time, were likely from the same mother, thus,
lifespan would be roughly the same, so if all else is equal, 2years is good
ro a rasbora, I'd say it was just old age...

Red, that is a bit of a reach for 7 to die so soon after the new 10
arrived. I can't say I have a better idea, but such a coincidence as
all dying within a few days is hard to believe. My Harlequins are
probably a year and a half old, have vivid colors, swim actively and
showing no signs of leaving their tank feet first.

Old 26-05-2004, 05:23 PM
RedForeman ©®

||| 7 fish purchased at the same time, were likely from the same
||| mother, thus, lifespan would be roughly the same, so if all else is
||| equal, 2years is good ro a rasbora, I'd say it was just old age...
|| Red, that is a bit of a reach for 7 to die so soon after the new 10
|| arrived. I can't say I have a better idea, but such a coincidence as
|| all dying within a few days is hard to believe. My Harlequins are
|| probably a year and a half old, have vivid colors, swim actively and
|| showing no signs of leaving their tank feet first.

Why would it be a stretch?? There are no such things as coincidences... All
things happen for a reason... Chances are, if it wasn't something that was
brought in, it was just their time.... I've had it happen to me, if you
haven't yet, your time is coming... but who knows...