Old 29-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Sir Douglas Cook

Default Feeding egg YOKE to Fry

Hi skozzy

Message edited below.
--
Sir Douglas Cook

http://www.greyspace.bravehostNOSPAM.com/
Remove "NOSPAM" for correct address
London Ontario Canada
Aquarium Maintenance Man for Hire

"skozzy" wrote in message
That is a lot of work, but for some fish it's needed. The green water
(phytoplankton) method you use sounds very interesting, I have been making
my own a different way, maybe a lot slower, so I will try the algae wafers
(sprilina) too and see if it produces it faster.

I took over a month, so it wasn't that fast to grow my green water.
I would imagion, Light, CO2, and Iron for aquariums would speed up the
process.
Although, I am guessing (never tried yet, because of lack of money) ;-)

Can you tell me how you thought about that method. And why you put a

plastic
cover over it. Also, how long does it take to get green water and just how
green is it ?

The plastic cover is because NATURAL algae is in the air, so I didn't
introduce anything ACID rain in my green water as it is going to be used
for my fry.

Oh, this stuff look wonderful, It is light lime green when it is
added to the tank, although it is a little darker in the bucket
outside. (more condensed )

For me, I have many 20 litre water containers and I use 1 or 2 filled with
old tank water and left in a mostly shaded area outside,

I wouldn't use tank water, but most people do.
I think ,,, I am afraid... ;-)

after 1-2 weeks it
goes green. I use this mostly for my reef tank and tried with brine but

the
brine died rather fast. I must admit my brine setup is only temparary and
not well thought out.

I made a brine shrimp hatchery, and I grew adault brine shrimp.
Tank was 4" front to back, 20" across and 24" tall.
It also had a divider inside that was about
19" tall and installed on a angle starting 1/4' off of the
bottom of the tank, note the graphic are rough on my
picture below but I am rushing ;-)
Note this is a side view not to scale.
Note the "o" at the bottom is a Air line poked with holes
as they didn't have those Air Tubes that they have today.
Note Heater was also added.
Fed, I don't remember what it was called although,
I put Lawn grass in a bucket and fed the cloudy
water produced (I think its called, Efforessents)
Somebody help me out here. (Spelling) ;-)

| |
| |
| / |
| / |
| / |
| / |
| / |
| o/ |
|______|

My first batch of green water is over 1 month old and
is being used to spawn new buckets of green water. I am working on a way

make a continous 0 maintainance setup of dripping water from the main tank
into the green water buckets and having them drip into a sump, but I need

get a rather large startup culture first as I want to increase to dose

rate
back to the tank.

Try, Lawn grass,,, (un-treated lawn grass) "of course.

Have you worked out an effective 'Green water' to 'Clean Water' ratio for
the Brine Shrimp ?. I think I put too much green water into my brine
hatchery and that might have upset the water quality. I test the water for
phosphates and the green water does raise the PO4 by a fair bit.

Sorry.. nope

Also what lighting did you use ?, I found a single fluro light with a

'Cool
White' branded light was enough.

Sun light. put it near a window or better outside in the summer.