GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lotus bulb question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/80633-lotus-bulb-question.html)

Andrey Tarasevich 30-07-2004 06:52 PM

Lotus bulb question

Hello

I just got one of those red-leaved lotus plants (Nymphaea something).
The plant is attached to a bulb. What is the correct way to plant it?
More precisely, where should I place the bulb: on the gravel surface,
half-buried, buried just under the surface, deep-buried?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Craig Brye 30-07-2004 11:14 PM

Lotus bulb question

I ordered the Green variety...

When I received my order, I actually received a huge bulb that had 4 leaves
sticking out. I saw roots coming out of the top of the bulb, so I pulled
the plant out. I then took and planted the Lotus into the gravel. I also
planted the bulb in the gravel (just so about 1/2" of the bulb could be
seen. The Lotus is doing fine and the bulb has sprouted again!

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Andrey Tarasevich 31-07-2004 05:53 AM

Lotus bulb question

Craig Brye wrote:
I ordered the Green variety...

When I received my order, I actually received a huge bulb that had 4 leaves
sticking out. I saw roots coming out of the top of the bulb, so I pulled
the plant out. I then took and planted the Lotus into the gravel. I also
planted the bulb in the gravel (just so about 1/2" of the bulb could be
seen.

You mean you actually _detached_ the plant from the bulb? Interesting.
That's, BTW, another question I wanted to ask about whether it is safe
to detach a young lotus plant from its bulb (assuming that the plant
already has its own roots).

The Lotus is doing fine and the bulb has sprouted again!

Does this new sprout come from the same spot on the bulb or from a
different spot?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich