Old 21-11-2004, 02:54 AM
Spyder2x

Default New CO2 tank pressure

I just got my first CO2 tank today. A friend of mine who works at Pepsi
gave me a 25 pound tank that he said was full. When I plugged in my
regulator that has been sitting here for days it barely went up 1/4 of the
gauge to stop around 750 PSI. My question is, Should I go have this tank
filled? Or is it already full, and 750 PSI is normal?
Thanks for any help.
--Jim--

Old 21-11-2004, 05:10 AM
Bob Alston

Spyder2x wrote:
I just got my first CO2 tank today. A friend of mine who works at Pepsi
gave me a 25 pound tank that he said was full. When I plugged in my
regulator that has been sitting here for days it barely went up 1/4 of the
gauge to stop around 750 PSI. My question is, Should I go have this tank
filled? Or is it already full, and 750 PSI is normal?
Thanks for any help.
--Jim--

Wait 24 hours. May take some time for the temperature to rise in the
tank to room temp. Should be approx 850 lbs at room temp.

Bob
Old 21-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Spyder2x

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
Spyder2x wrote:
I just got my first CO2 tank today. A friend of mine who works at Pepsi
gave me a 25 pound tank that he said was full. When I plugged in my
regulator that has been sitting here for days it barely went up 1/4 of
the gauge to stop around 750 PSI. My question is, Should I go have this
tank filled? Or is it already full, and 750 PSI is normal?
Thanks for any help.
--Jim--

Wait 24 hours. May take some time for the temperature to rise in the tank
to room temp. Should be approx 850 lbs at room temp.

Bob

Thanks Bob,
I just checked it again and it is around the 800 mark. It's kinda hard to
tell exactly, but I had expected to peg the regulator near the max...Guess I
learned something today, I suspect there will be a lot of learning in the
weeks ahead. :-)
Thanks again,
--Jim--

Old 21-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Scott Rogahn

CO2 becomes a liquid at about 800 psi. At less then 800 psi the liquid will
boil off until the pressure in the bottle reaches 800. So as long as there
is liquid in the bottle the pressure will read 800. Regardless of weather
the bottle has just a little liquid CO2 or is completely full. You can tell
how full the bottle is by weighing it. Off course you will need to know the
empty weight first.

Also don't get the bottle filled until empty (something lees than 800 , like
maybe 500 psi) because they will likely charge you for 25 pounds of CO2 no
mater what it actually took to fill it. Or so it goes with 5 pound bottles
filled at the liquor store. 25s may be handled differently

Scott

Old 21-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Michi Henning

"Scott Rogahn" wrote in message
CO2 becomes a liquid at about 800 psi. At less then 800 psi the liquid will
boil off until the pressure in the bottle reaches 800. So as long as there
is liquid in the bottle the pressure will read 800. Regardless of weather
the bottle has just a little liquid CO2 or is completely full. You can tell
how full the bottle is by weighing it. Off course you will need to know the
empty weight first.

The tare weight (empty weight) is normally stamped on the cylinder, so
you can find out fairly easily how much CO2 is left by weighing the
cylinder. (The tare weight doesn't include the weight of the regulator,
but you can adjust for that at least roughly.)

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700