GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fish for a heavily-planted tank? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/87103-fish-heavily-planted-tank.html)

Dave 30-11-2004 12:39 PM

fish for a heavily-planted tank?

Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

Victor Martinez 30-11-2004 01:27 PM

Dave wrote:
Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

You have lots of options. A nice choice would be 6 or so Melanotaenia
praecox.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Cheryl Rogers 30-11-2004 01:45 PM

I like to put lots of small tetras, one or two species only, in my 29
gallon. I have 11 pristella tetras and five ruby tetras, along with my
cories, otos, and SAEs. I think the smaller fish make the tank look bigger.

Cheryl

Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer

Margolis 30-11-2004 01:55 PM

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

that is the perfect setup for a few tetras and couple of rams
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/ramfaqs.htm, also 2 clown plecos,
peckoltia pulcher. They get about 2-3" max.
http://fish.mongabay.com/species/Peckoltia_pulcher.html

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Limnophile 30-11-2004 04:56 PM

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

Small danios, ottos, SAE's , tetras, small plec, rasboras, dwarf gouramis,
twig catfish, cherry barbs, freshwater shrimp, dwarf cichlids, the
possibilities are nearly endless.

My plant tank has ottos, harlequin rasboras, a pair of rams, leopard danios,
a bristlenose plec, black neon tetras, cardinal tetras, cory cats, purple
scissortail guppies, freshwater glass shrimp, twig cats, and a giant danio
that jumped in from another tank.

If the fish are small and peaceful, the sky's the limit. Use your
imagination and have fun.

Limnophile

Dick 01-12-2004 10:41 AM

On 30 Nov 2004 04:39:18 -0800, (Dave) wrote:

Subject line says it all ... what species of fish do well in / prefer
heavily-planted tanks? Mine is 29g, pH 6.8-7, GH 11. Only fish in
there right now are a few corydoras. Thanks!

I really enjoy my plants, almost as much as the fish. However, one
problem is some fish like to stay in the plants much of the time,
especially the very young and the older ones. The Tetras seem to stay
above the plants most of the time. One fish I enjoy is the Siamese
Algae Eaters. They not only stay above the plants, but often rest on
the large leaves and look like some childrens' book illustration of
fairies resting on leaves. If you want the risk of live bearers over
population my mollies and Platies also stay visible. Another of my
favorites that usually is visible is a Black Angelfish.

Feeding time is fun since many of those that stay in the vegetation
come out prior to feeding time. It can be quite a show. In my 75
gallon many times the community turns out and swim together. This is
really special when they gather in a corner and swim up and down in
one cloud of fish.

dick

Limnophile 01-12-2004 05:21 PM

"Dick" wrote

snip
If you want the risk of live bearers over
population my mollies and Platies also stay visible. Another of my
favorites that usually is visible is a Black Angelfish.

snip
dick

Actually, I've found that livebearers and angels are usually good tankmates.
The angels eat the livebearer fry, and keep the population somewhat under
control.

Limnophile

Dick 02-12-2004 10:17 AM

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:21:45 -0600, "Limnophile"
wrote:

"Dick" wrote

snip
If you want the risk of live bearers over
population my mollies and Platies also stay visible. Another of my
favorites that usually is visible is a Black Angelfish.

snip
dick

Actually, I've found that livebearers and angels are usually good tankmates.
The angels eat the livebearer fry, and keep the population somewhat under
control.

Limnophile

I agree about fry control and Angels, but I find a few fry survive in
the heavy vegetation. I found 2 platies in my 75 gallon tank that
were over a month old judging by appearance. They still stay in the
vegetation most of the time.

dick