Old 23-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Morten

"Morten" wrote in message

"spiral_72" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alright, I've got this idea. Boy, that sounds like the beginning to an
end.

The chemical reaction is:

NaHCO3(aq) + HCl(aq) = CO2(g) + H20(aq) + NaCL(aq) + energy

I've done a few calculations and 100g of baking powder together with 0.1447
litre of 30%HCl should give 52.39g CO2 which at room temperature / pressure
should be arround 26.65 Litre of CO2 gas which in turn should be about 2540
bubbles (based on a bubble size of 0.0952ml)

I also did some calculation on the yeast / sugar method and found that 200g
sugar gave about 48.86g CO2 or 24.87 Litre CO2 at room temperature, which is
about 2368 bubbles given the same bubble size as above...

So say that we use a standard Yeast / Sugar batch of ca. 200g sugar that
gives ca. 4700 bubbles over ca. 2 weeks. The Baking powder / Acid mix will
give approximately the same, but because the reaction is self regulating we
can make much bigger batches, ie. we could use 500g of baking powder and
0.723Litre of 30% HCl that would give 12700 Bibbles, lasting 37 days instead
of 14 days for a batch...

And of course the Baking powder / acid method can be shut off and run slow
or fast depending on need, where the yeast / sugar method cannot be
controlled easily with out venting / loosing the CO2 when not needed or
cleaning up the mess after a little mishap...

I still thinks this is a great idea, just haven't had a chance to implement
it yet.

Hmm, I wonder if B&Q are open now...

/Morten

---

Old 23-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Dan White

"Morten" wrote in message

I've done a few calculations and 100g of baking powder together with

0.1447
litre of 30%HCl should give 52.39g CO2 which at room temperature /

pressure
should be arround 26.65 Litre of CO2 gas which in turn should be about

2540
bubbles (based on a bubble size of 0.0952ml)

I also did some calculation on the yeast / sugar method and found that

200g
sugar gave about 48.86g CO2 or 24.87 Litre CO2 at room temperature, which

is
about 2368 bubbles given the same bubble size as above...

So say that we use a standard Yeast / Sugar batch of ca. 200g sugar that
gives ca. 4700 bubbles over ca. 2 weeks.

It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if something sounds right or
not. I'm not a CO2 expert...I don't even use it, but I think I recall
people talking in terms of several bubbles per second. Even if we talk
about 1 bubble/sec over say 12 hours/day for 14 days that makes over 600,000
bubbles! Your bubble at .0952 ml has about a .28 cm radius, so it is a big
bubble.

I don't know how big the 600,000 bubbles are at the 1 bubble/sec rate, but
if we look at your calculation of 4700 bubbles through the yeast method over
that same 14 days, this would say that your bubbles would have to be
600K/4.7K = 128 times the volume of the yeast bubble. So what does that
make the radius of the 600,000 bubbles? .0952ml/128 = .00074 ml, or a
bubble radius of .056 cm or a diameter of 1 mm.

So for people who use yeast, if you get 1 bubble per second, these bubbles
would have to be 1 mm in diameter in order for the "charge" of yeast to last
14 days at 12 hours per day if Morten's 4700 bubble calculation is correct.
Does this make sense?

Just curious,
dwhite

Old 23-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Morten

"Dan White" wrote in message
[...]

To be totally honest the 0.0952ml per bubble was something i got from a
couple of postings a couple of years back, ie they came from a '1050 bubbles
per 100ml' statement, but your'e right it sounds like a quite a large bubble
:-) and is probably way above a real bubble, anyone done some counting on a
known volume?

/Morten

---