Old 13-02-2005, 03:02 AM
John >

Default Plants & Lighting for Deep Tanks

I have a DEEP 42" High tank that I would like to plant with North American
Pond Plants. I understand the 2 - 4 watt per gallon rules for standard
height tanks. This one is 1000 gallons, I cannot even dream of providing
4,000 watts of light. I think my biggest concern is getting light to this
depth.

I would like to plant some of the following:
Dwarf Lily (Several Colors)
Hornwort - Pennywort - Moneywort
Anacharis
Red Foxtail
Diandra
Cabomba
Java Moss
Hairgrass

Some of these because they Are North American Species and some because of
the similarity to US Plants.
Any Objections or Alternate suggestions appreciated!

Tank has a riverbottom stone substrate. Will I have to grow in pots, or
will the rock support root growth?

Any idea's what I will need to support plant life in this tank?

THANKS
JOhn

Old 13-02-2005, 10:02 AM

I would like to plant some of the following:
Dwarf Lily (Several Colors)
Hornwort - Pennywort - Moneywort
Anacharis
Red Foxtail
Diandra
Cabomba
Java Moss
Hairgrass

Some of these because they Are North American Species and some

because of
the similarity to US Plants.Tank has a riverbottom stone substrate.

Will I have to grow in pots, or
will the rock support root growth?

Any idea's what I will need to support plant life in this tank?

THANKS
JOhn

A bank of powercompacts from A&H supply would do well, I'd say 8x 96
watts would do and add 2x96 watt sideways in the middle. 960 watts with
good relfectors and and large area coming from above will be enough.

If you add CO2, this lowers the amount of the light you need for
adequate growth as well.

CO2 will be cheaper than the electric cost/initial set up for more
light also.

You will need to grow them in pots, river stone is much too large,
2-3mm sand is what's needed.

Don't underestimate the reflectors and 96 w/pc bulbs, they are enough
to light the tank. Other wise 2 x 400 w, MH's or 4x 250 w MH'swill do
the trick also.

Regards,
Tom Barr