Old 02-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Scott Far Thunder

**** eco complete!
"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
I saw this fab 2 gal planted tank at LFS and it inspired me to yank the UGF
from Squishy's 2 gallon hex and put on a Red Sea nanofilter and Fluorite
substrate. Lighting is a 14 watt 5500K spiral compact flourescent that
seems plenty bright over a tank this tiny.

But OMG - I rinsed and rinsed my fluorite and it never did rinse clear. I
finally gave up and set up the tank and the water is STILL cloudy an hour
later. Will this mess actually filter out? I put a second pad in the
filter, but it only seems to be getting a little bit better. Squishy is
annoyed and I don't blame him.

Also, is this cloud going to reappear every time I move a plant or replant
stem plants? If so, I'm returning the bag of flourite I bought for the 15
gallon that I have on order and using only Eco Complete. Fluorite is
beautiful, but only when you can see it!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 02-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Happy'Cam'per

"Scott Far Thunder" wrote in message
**** eco complete!

Does this mean you don't like the product then?
--
"In the beginning, God said the four-dimensional divergence of an
antisymmetric,

Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Elaine T

Scott Far Thunder wrote:
**** eco complete!

Is Eco Complete not good to use? I'd like to hear a bit more detail if
you've had bad experiences with it.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 06-03-2005, 04:18 AM

i've been using fluorite for 4 years now in my low tech planted 29G;
got the cloudiness every time I replanted or had a vigorous water
change or my cichlid dug, literally took 3 years or so before that
problem was gone. never washed; though I did hear about it, isn't the
whole point of fluorite to find fine and coarse particles. I probably
still have a lot of 'silt' in the bottom.

the thing is the stuff is pretty brittle so when dry it makes a lot of
dust just from the friction. sea chem apparently has some competing
product; never tried.

the particles of fluorite also seem to be too light since it is porous
clay and it's pretty easy for a determined fish to dig up my
sagittaria, on the whole the plants seem to like it though.

not a perfect product by any stretch of the imagination; but it works.
______
http://www.indiecookbooks.com
nothing but reviews of independent cookbooks from churches, community
groups, and self-published authors.