GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Switching from Fresh water to Brackish... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/91572-switching-fresh-water-brackish.html)

Justin 29-03-2005 03:03 AM

Switching from Fresh water to Brackish...

Hi all,

I was wondering if I can change my freshwater tank into brackish without too
much trouble? My 2ft cube is stable now with it's plants and the cycles and
I am just about to purchase a CO2 controller to keep an eye on my ph but now
I want to convert to brackish. Will it mean pulling up all the plants and
starting fresh or is it a case of just adding the liquid that makes the
water brackish and seeing what plants live or die?

My current plant list is:
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Macranda
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia Repens (narrow leaf)
Hair grass
Bolbitis Heudeloti
Anubius Nana
Limnophila sessiflora
Microsorium pteropus Windelov Special
Microsorium pteropus
Hygrophila rosenvaris (I think)
2 Crypts (on kind of looks like balanese with the undulated leaves)
Madagascan Lace fern.

I realise I will have to move some of my fish (I think)

I currently have:
Emporer Tetras
Congo Tetras
Neon Rainbow
Goyder River Rainbows
Black Banded rainbows
Mollies
Swordtails
Copper Rasbora's
Siamese Flying fox
Otto's
Bristle Nose Cat's

I have fallen for Discus, so any advise you can give me on the topic would
be great.

Thanks all.
Justin

Jim Anderson 29-03-2005 04:55 AM

In article , says...
Hi all,

I was wondering if I can change my freshwater tank into brackish without too
much trouble?
... [snip]...
I have fallen for Discus, so any advise you can give me on the topic would
be great.

Thanks all.
Justin

Brackish water, is a zone where the fresh water river runs into the salt
water ocean, some of the salt water backwashes into the river making it
salty, up to half that of salt water.

Discus are soft water fish not brackish. Discus, and many other fish
will die quick horrible deaths in brackish water.

Please clarify, do you want to go brackish or go discus?

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Elaine T 29-03-2005 12:33 PM

Justin wrote:
[...]

Brakish (salty) water would kill most of your plants and fish. The
mollies and swordtails are the only fish you have that would tolerate it.

As for discus, I personally don't think a 2 foot cube is a very good
choice because it doesn't offer much swimming room. Discus can grow to
8" easily, so the fish could end up a third as long as the tank.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__