Old 29-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Justin

Default Switching from Fresh water to Brackish...

Hi all,

I was wondering if I can change my freshwater tank into brackish without too
much trouble? My 2ft cube is stable now with it's plants and the cycles and
I am just about to purchase a CO2 controller to keep an eye on my ph but now
I want to convert to brackish. Will it mean pulling up all the plants and
starting fresh or is it a case of just adding the liquid that makes the
water brackish and seeing what plants live or die?

My current plant list is:
Blyxa Japonica
Rotala Macranda
Limnophila aromatica
Ludwigia Repens (narrow leaf)
Hair grass
Bolbitis Heudeloti
Anubius Nana
Limnophila sessiflora
Microsorium pteropus Windelov Special
Microsorium pteropus
Hygrophila rosenvaris (I think)
2 Crypts (on kind of looks like balanese with the undulated leaves)
Madagascan Lace fern.

I realise I will have to move some of my fish (I think)

I currently have:
Emporer Tetras
Congo Tetras
Neon Rainbow
Goyder River Rainbows
Black Banded rainbows
Mollies
Swordtails
Copper Rasbora's
Siamese Flying fox
Otto's
Bristle Nose Cat's

I have fallen for Discus, so any advise you can give me on the topic would
be great.

Thanks all.
Justin

Old 29-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Elaine T

Justin wrote:
[...]

Brakish (salty) water would kill most of your plants and fish. The
mollies and swordtails are the only fish you have that would tolerate it.

As for discus, I personally don't think a 2 foot cube is a very good
choice because it doesn't offer much swimming room. Discus can grow to
8" easily, so the fish could end up a third as long as the tank.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__