Old 29-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Dan White

Default Good plant food?

Hi. I'm wondering whether Petco, PetSmart, etc. carry any decent plant
foods. Our tank has low light and the plants seem to just kind of hang in
there. I think they could use some plant food but I don't know if the
typical stuff that might be available is any good. I'm not really looking
to mix up my own concoction or anything. I'd just like to pick up something
that might do some good, if not the absolute best thing on the market.

Thanks for any suggestions,
dwhite

Old 29-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Elaine T

Dan White wrote:
Hi. I'm wondering whether Petco, PetSmart, etc. carry any decent plant
foods. Our tank has low light and the plants seem to just kind of hang in
there. I think they could use some plant food but I don't know if the
typical stuff that might be available is any good. I'm not really looking
to mix up my own concoction or anything. I'd just like to pick up something
that might do some good, if not the absolute best thing on the market.

Thanks for any suggestions,
dwhite

Start with Tetra FloraPride - you can get it almost anywhere - and
remove the carbon from your filter. Most fishtanks don't have enough
iron and potash (K). Potash in particular is lacking but necessary for
good growth. Plants also need many trace elements that are often found
in tapwater and replenished with water changes, so removing your carbon
will help too.

If things are still at a standstill or you prefer not to remove carbon,
PetSmart lists Seachem Flourish on their website. Flourish is an
excellent trace element fertilizer, and I find that fish like having
trace elements in the water as well. Get the one without extra iron
(it's possible to overdose iron), and try adding that with the FloraPride.

Of course, adding light to 2 watts/gallon and a carbon source like CO2
or Seachem Flourish Excel will REALLY make your plants take off. ;-)

If you go with another brand of fertilizer, look for no nitrogen or
phosphorus, and a combination of potash, iron, and trace elements.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 31-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Watercress

I like the Seachem line of Flourish products. Incidentally, it is much
cheaper to get it online. I mean MUCH cheaper. I get my stuffs from
www.thatfishplace.com.

Old 31-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Dan White

"Watercress" wrote in message
oups.com...
I like the Seachem line of Flourish products. Incidentally, it is much
cheaper to get it online. I mean MUCH cheaper. I get my stuffs from
www.thatfishplace.com.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Shipping cost doesn't kill any savings?

dwhite

Old 31-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Angrie.Woman

"Dan White" wrote in message
"Watercress" wrote in message
oups.com...
I like the Seachem line of Flourish products. Incidentally, it is much
cheaper to get it online. I mean MUCH cheaper. I get my stuffs from
www.thatfishplace.com.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Shipping cost doesn't kill any savings?

I haven't shopped that product exclusively, but speaking generally..I find
it much less expensive to buy aquaria supplies on-line than locally,
including shipping. I can sometimes save as much as 50%.

You should check it out.