Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Smyte

Default Substrate help

Hello, I'm trying to set up a tank with aquarium plants in it. I read in
some posts that a good substrate is 2-3 inches of fluorite at the bottom
layer and another layer of substrate of about 1 inch at the top. What
type of substrate should be placed as this 1 inch layer?

Am I suppose to be mixing anything in the fluorite layer?

Is this a good setup? I'm pretty inexperienced and would greatly
appreciate comments before I do the actual setup.

THanks In ADvance!!

--
Smyte
Old 13-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Robert Flory

Don't mix or put anything on top unless it is the same size and weight.
Otherwise the two materials separate. On the other hand if you dose ferts
you can pretty much grow plants in anything. I've got one fluorite and one
Red Sea something or other, both have their positive points.

bob

Old 15-04-2005, 07:20 PM
john

Some people like Fluorite, but personally I think it's way too
expensive. Right now I'm using standard natural gravel, and my plants
are doing well.

When I move, I'm going to replace my substrate with a nuked
clay-topsoil-sand mixture from my yard. I'll probably top it with my
current gravel plus sand.