Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 PM
paul anderson

Default Alge on glass

I just started a 40 gal planted tank 4 weeks ago and about a week ago i
started getting green alge on the front of the glass. I have 2 4 inch
plecos in the tank but they are not eating it. I just added a CF light and
I am running about100 watts. The water temp is around 75 and all my levels
are perfect. Is there any thing other that i can add to the tank to take
care of it. OR am i gonna have to scrub every other day.

Thank you in advance
Paul

Old 13-06-2005, 02:15 AM
Paul A. Ergh

If the plecos aren't eating it then it is probably blue green algae which is
actually a bacteria. check out
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/algae.html#cyano

This can be treated with an antibiotic I have used Maracyn in the past ( see
http://www.petguys.com/pet-guys/-084942011100.html ) and it was very
effective.

This is usually caused by poor water quality.

Old 19-06-2005, 06:52 AM

Ive got the same problem.

What do i need to test to ensure i ;have good water quality?

I do ph, nitrite, ammonia, gh/kh tests at the moment which are all fine.

Old 17-08-2005, 12:06 PM
daddyoscar

If it is True Alge I would'nt Worry to Much, I had this Problem and
cut back on my Lighting one hour and found this helped quite a bit. You
don't have any indirect lighting coming from a Window do YOU? I also
found this to be a part of my Problem, got a room darker blind and this
Helped me out even more, I still have some alge, But at least it's
controllable now.

As far as Plecos go no matter How much people tell you that they eat
Alge, they only eat it while they are young, after they get Older they
seem to get kinda lazy. I find Snails to be best at Consuming Alge, as
long as you don't Mind removing their Eggs every so Often before they
hatch, And providing you Like Snails???

The Sting Alge is comming Dude Ponds 8 21-04-2005 03:18 PM
string alge REBEL JOE Ponds 3 04-09-2003 12:02 PM
hair alge? Zach987987987 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
String Alge [email protected] Ponds 5 10-03-2003 07:12 AM
hair alge? Zach987987987 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 12-02-2003 01:19 AM