Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

Default Western Scrub Jay 1.jpg (1/1)Backyard shots

Attached Thumbnails
Western Scrub Jay 1.jpg (1/1)Backyard shots-western-scrub-jay-1.jpg
Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:01:17 -0600, Padraig wrote:

---pic

4 great shots, although I notice they are numbered up to 7. Are there
some I'm missing? I can see 1, 3, 4, 7.

How do you confuse a blonde?
You don't. They're born that way.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:01:17 -0600, Padraig wrote:

---pic

4 great shots, although I notice they are numbered up to 7. Are there
some I'm missing? I can see 1, 3, 4, 7.

I only posted 4 Peter. I took 7. And thanks. Here's a different crop on
one of them.

Attached Thumbnails
Western Scrub Jay 1.jpg (1/1)Backyard shots-western-scrub-jay-stern-look.jpg
Old 04-01-2007, 01:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

Padraig wrote in message
news

He is so pretty..
fantastic shots Pat
Didi

Old 04-01-2007, 02:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

"Didi" wrote in message

He is so pretty..
fantastic shots Pat

I've got a book called "BIRDS of the Los Angeles Region" by a guy named
Garrett and another guy named Dunn, and a guy named Morse. According to the
book there's LOTS of colorful birds in the general L.A. & Orange County
region but to tell the truth this is about as colorful as anything gets
here --- at least that I ever get lucky enough to see.

My sister lives about 12 miles away and she's been successful in luring
quite a few Western Scrub Jays to her feeders. I on the other hand have
been laying out peanuts in the shell on my back lawn for a half a year and
never saw one until this guy showed up today so this is a red-letter day.
I'm tickled to death to see him. The only birds that have been interested
in the peanuts have been some crows that come around. I'm hoping this scrub
jay will go home and tell all his buddies and maybe I'll have a yard full of
'em tomorrow.

Pat :-)

Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 AM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

Padraig wrote in message
news

Incredible detail. How DO you people get so close? Even with a 75-300 I
can't get closer than 30-50 feet so no way I can get this kind of detail.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

Great shots Pat, Seeing how happy you are to see him I hope you get many
more. Being called a "Scrub" Jay I guess that means they like some scrub
around - is there?

news

Old 04-01-2007, 10:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:01:17 -0600, Padraig wrote:

---pic

4 great shots, although I notice they are numbered up to 7. Are there
some I'm missing? I can see 1, 3, 4, 7.

I only posted 4 Peter. I took 7. And thanks. Here's a different crop on
one of them.

Birds DO have stern looks, don't they. My hens always look cross, even
though they're crowding round me.

This picture is breathtaking.

Mary

Old 04-01-2007, 02:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

"AusDigi" wrote in message
Great shots Pat, Seeing how happy you are to see him I hope you get many
more. Being called a "Scrub" Jay I guess that means they like some scrub
around - is there?

Heh. No actually it's pretty green. There's nothing that looks like scrub
brush within 50 miles but that's not the case historically. Southern
California's natural state is desert. The only reason we're as green as we
are is because of massive plantings of greenery and massive imports of water
from the Colorado River and from Northern California snow melts. A hundred
and fifty years ago there was probably lots of scrub brush.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing more jays in the future. I know
they're in the area. I've just been unable to attract them to my property
until yesterday. They're nice to look at and extremely smart birds, being
in the Corvid family - which includes crows. They are known to bully other
birds occasionally but that shouldn't be a huge problem because they don't
generally eat the same stuff as many of the other birds in the area.

Pat

Old 05-01-2007, 05:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.pictures.animals,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.pictures.nature

Padraig wrote in news
begin 644 Western Scrub Jay 1.jpg

Attachment decoded: Western Scrub Jay 1.jpg
`
end

wow i didn't know scrub jays were that colorful. i've never seen one-all we
get here in houston are the other blue jay. johnny in houston