GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mantis eating a hummingbird (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/159925-mantis-eating-hummingbird.html)

Ann 11-06-2007 03:11 AM

Mantis eating a hummingbird

This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

wendy7 11-06-2007 04:44 AM

Mantis eating a hummingbird

That is so sad that such a ugly nasty looking insect could kill a humming
bird. I did read once
that the Mantis is their most common preditor!
Wendy.

Wolf 11-06-2007 11:12 PM

"Ann" wrote in message
This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

That's the way nature works - no respect for merely human feelings.

--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

wendy7 12-06-2007 09:27 PM

Mantis eating a hummingbird

But then........upon looking at the photo again, I feel better thinking it
was photoShopped!
Cheers Wendy

Ann 12-06-2007 11:19 PM

Mantis eating a hummingbird

"Wendy7" expounded:

But then........upon looking at the photo again, I feel better thinking it
was photoShopped!
Cheers Wendy
"Ann" wrote in message
.. .
This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg
--

No, Wendy, sorry, it's not. Bjorn watched it happen.

Amos Nomore 13-06-2007 06:40 AM

Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)
In article ,
Ann wrote:

This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg

That is a fantastically cool picture! I am an equal fan of each
creature and don't enjoy watching either die, but the immediate horror
is vastly displaced by the wonder of nature. Insects eating birds is
simply spine-tingling.

When I was a kid I witnessed an identical event as that depicted while
watching hummers swarm all over a gigantic trumpet vine in the woods
near my house. I've also seen Chinese mantids catch and eat good-sized
tree frogs.

Nobody ever believed the stories.

Just to even the score - it is not uncommon for hummingbirds to locate
and decimate scads of hapless newly-hatched mantids as they emerge from
their egg cases. Heartbreaking.

But the wheel turns on and on

-----------------
-----------------

Amos Nomore 13-06-2007 06:52 AM

Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1)

In article
,
Amos Nomore wrote:

But the wheel turns on and on

begin 644 warningXXX.JPG
[Image]

Just in case you were wondering ...

he kept his head and got away to mate another day!
-----------------
-----------------

Ann 13-06-2007 11:28 AM

Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1)

Amos Nomore expounded:

But the wheel turns on and on

begin 644 warningXXX.JPG
[Image]

Just in case you were wondering ...

he kept his head and got away to mate another day!

Yes, the wheels do turn on and on. Great photo, Amos! And nice
conformation of the mantis-eating-hummingbird story.

Amos Nomore 13-06-2007 07:14 PM

Ann wrote:

Amos Nomore expounded:

But the wheel turns on and on

begin 644 warningXXX.JPG
[Image]

Just in case you were wondering ...

he kept his head and got away to mate another day!

Yes, the wheels do turn on and on. Great photo, Amos! And nice
conformation of the mantis-eating-hummingbird story.

Thank you, Ann!
-----------------
-----------------

Amos Nomore 14-06-2007 01:51 AM

Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1) - morningafter.JPG (1/1)

1 Attachment(s)
In article ,
"someone" wrote:

Bonkedy-bonk! :-) Love the photo.

That coupling went on for 15 hours after I first noticed them. Here
they are the next morning. An hour or so later the male made a lucky
break.

That baby got back, no?