Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Mantis eating a hummingbird

This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

That is so sad that such a ugly nasty looking insect could kill a humming
bird. I did read once
that the Mantis is their most common preditor!
Wendy.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message
This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

That's the way nature works - no respect for merely human feelings.

--

Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Old 12-06-2007, 11:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

"Wendy7" expounded:

But then........upon looking at the photo again, I feel better thinking it
was photoShopped!
Cheers Wendy
"Ann" wrote in message
.. .
This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg
--

No, Wendy, sorry, it's not. Bjorn watched it happen.

Old 13-06-2007, 06:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1)

In article ,
Ann wrote:

This picture was taken by a fellow beekeeper. The murder happened in
his backyard!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...epl2006341.jpg

That is a fantastically cool picture! I am an equal fan of each
creature and don't enjoy watching either die, but the immediate horror
is vastly displaced by the wonder of nature. Insects eating birds is
simply spine-tingling.

When I was a kid I witnessed an identical event as that depicted while
watching hummers swarm all over a gigantic trumpet vine in the woods
near my house. I've also seen Chinese mantids catch and eat good-sized
tree frogs.

Nobody ever believed the stories.

Just to even the score - it is not uncommon for hummingbirds to locate
and decimate scads of hapless newly-hatched mantids as they emerge from
their egg cases. Heartbreaking.

But the wheel turns on and on

-----------------
-----------------
Attached Thumbnails
Mantis eating a hummingbird-warningxxx.jpg
Old 13-06-2007, 06:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article
,
Amos Nomore wrote:

But the wheel turns on and on

begin 644 warningXXX.JPG
[Image]

Just in case you were wondering ...

he kept his head and got away to mate another day!
-----------------
-----------------
Old 13-06-2007, 11:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Amos Nomore expounded:

But the wheel turns on and on

begin 644 warningXXX.JPG
[Image]

Just in case you were wondering ...

he kept his head and got away to mate another day!

Yes, the wheels do turn on and on. Great photo, Amos! And nice
conformation of the mantis-eating-hummingbird story.
Old 13-06-2007, 07:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Amos Nomore expounded:

But the wheel turns on and on

begin 644 warningXXX.JPG
[Image]

Just in case you were wondering ...

he kept his head and got away to mate another day!

Yes, the wheels do turn on and on. Great photo, Amos! And nice
conformation of the mantis-eating-hummingbird story.

Thank you, Ann!
-----------------
-----------------

Old 14-06-2007, 01:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Mantis eating a hummingbird - warningXXX.JPG (1/1) - morningafter.JPG (1/1)

In article ,
"someone" wrote:

Bonkedy-bonk! :-) Love the photo.

That coupling went on for 15 hours after I first noticed them. Here
they are the next morning. An hour or so later the male made a lucky
break.

That baby got back, no?

Attached Thumbnails
Mantis eating a hummingbird-morningafter.jpg