Old 13-07-2007, 05:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Scrumpdillyicious!

Isn't *this* a mouth-watering little morsel? Found it about 12 feet from
my front door a couple of days ago. :-)

Attached Thumbnails
Scrumpdillyicious!-lifeviewedthroughredsalmonberry.jpg
Old 13-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Michael" wrote in message
Isn't *this* a mouth-watering little morsel? Found it about 12 feet from
my front door a couple of days ago. :-)

What's a salmonberry?

Mary

Old 13-07-2007, 05:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
Isn't *this* a mouth-watering little morsel? Found it about 12 feet
from my front door a couple of days ago. :-)

What's a salmonberry?

Mary

Rubus spectabilis.
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...&q=salmonberry
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...eet.cfm?ID=253

It's a wild berry - close relative to raspberries and blackberries, but a
tall bush instead of a cane - that grows here on the west coast. Not as
flavourful as its cousins and sometimes a little bitter, but *very* juicy...
it makes a good flavouring (especially combined with rhubarb) for
custard-based pies, among other things. :-)

Old 13-07-2007, 07:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
Isn't *this* a mouth-watering little morsel? Found it about 12 feet
from my front door a couple of days ago. :-)

What's a salmonberry?

Mary

Rubus spectabilis.
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...&q=salmonberry
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...eet.cfm?ID=253

It's a wild berry - close relative to raspberries and blackberries, but a
tall bush instead of a cane - that grows here on the west coast. Not as
flavourful as its cousins and sometimes a little bitter, but *very*
juicy... it makes a good flavouring (especially combined with rhubarb) for
custard-based pies, among other things. :-)

Tha nks. We don't have it here.

Mary
Yorkshire, England

Old 14-07-2007, 09:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
Isn't *this* a mouth-watering little morsel? Found it about 12 feet
from my front door a couple of days ago. :-)
What's a salmonberry?

Mary

Rubus spectabilis.
http://images.google.com/images?svnu...&q=salmonberry
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...eet.cfm?ID=253

It's a wild berry - close relative to raspberries and blackberries, but a
tall bush instead of a cane - that grows here on the west coast. Not as
flavourful as its cousins and sometimes a little bitter, but *very*
juicy... it makes a good flavouring (especially combined with rhubarb)
for custard-based pies, among other things. :-)

Tha nks. We don't have it here.

Some cultivars *are* available from seed or from cuttings if you'd like to
try such a thing in your garden. Tasty berries (and *beautiful* flowers),
but the plant isn't an abundant fruit producr... and if not kept in check,
it can be pretty invasive.

Old 14-07-2007, 10:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
t...

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! Sounds like bramble, which we have in abundance :-)

Mary

Old 15-07-2007, 05:42 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On 13 Jul 2007, Michael wrote:

Isn't *this* a mouth-watering little morsel? Found it about 12 feet
from my front door a couple of days ago. :-)

begin 666 LifeViewedThroughRedSalmonberry.jpg

Attachment decoded: LifeViewedThroughRedSalmonberry.jpg
`
end

It's beautiful.

So much to do, so little inclination.