Old 16-07-2007, 01:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Mutant Sunflower 1/3

Last year I grew sunflowers here and there in my garden. I grew the type
that grow 12 feet tall and have a single huge head 18-24" across. I also
grew the short ornamental type that have multiple 3"-6" flowers on 4'-6'
plants. This year, I have this volunteer sunflower that appears to be a
cross between the two. It's about 12' tall, but instead of the single large
flower that these tall sunflowers have, it has about a dozen long stalks
that grow out of the base of each leaf like the short ornamental ones have.
The bottom sucker grew about 5 feet long and broke off. It reminds me of a
hydra. I've never seen a sunflower like this before, is this something new
and different, or something common that I've just not seen before?

Attached Thumbnails
Mutant Sunflower 1/3-mutantsunflower1.jpg
Old 18-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Mutant Sunflower 1/3 - mutant.jpg

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam expounded:

Last year I grew sunflowers here and there in my garden. I grew the type
that grow 12 feet tall and have a single huge head 18-24" across. I also
grew the short ornamental type that have multiple 3"-6" flowers on 4'-6'
plants. This year, I have this volunteer sunflower that appears to be a
cross between the two. It's about 12' tall, but instead of the single large
flower that these tall sunflowers have, it has about a dozen long stalks
that grow out of the base of each leaf like the short ornamental ones have.
The bottom sucker grew about 5 feet long and broke off. It reminds me of a
hydra. I've never seen a sunflower like this before, is this something new
and different, or something common that I've just not seen before?

I dunno how rare it is, but you've perfectly described the volunteers
I've got out there this season. Here's the largest.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Attached Thumbnails
Mutant Sunflower 1/3-mutant.jpg
Old 19-07-2007, 02:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

I dunno how rare it is, but you've perfectly described the volunteers
I've got out there this season. Here's the largest.

Haha, that is beautiful . Alas, mine opened its first flower, and it's
yellow - I was hoping for red or orange. I'm growing several different
types this year, plus a dozen or so volunteers, so I think I'll save
some seed and see what I get next year. I wonder if I could consistently
produce the giant hydra sunflower?

[IMG] code is On

Bee on Sunflower: - Sunflower-Yellow-Jac#9ECEBD.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 28-12-2008 09:55 PM
Mutant sunflower continued Ook Garden Photos 2 21-07-2007 04:38 AM
Mutant Sunflower 2/3 Ook Garden Photos 0 16-07-2007 01:56 AM
Mutant Sunflower 3/3 Ook Garden Photos 0 16-07-2007 01:56 AM