GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID please! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/163180-id-please.html)

Jane Doe 17-08-2007 05:07 PM

ID please!

1 Attachment(s)
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

Mary Fisher 17-08-2007 05:10 PM

ID please!

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Garrapata 17-08-2007 06:27 PM

ID please!

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:07:49 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Something close to Senecio - but since there are lots of Senecios and
former Senecios that isn't much help.

Perhaps you could post more pictures and your locality.
--

09=ix

joevan[_2_] 17-08-2007 08:02 PM

ID please!

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:10:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

I may be wrong but I guess it is a Bumble Bee.

Mary Fisher 17-08-2007 09:01 PM

ID please!

wrote:

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

I may be wrong but I guess it is a Bumble Bee.

I've never seen one like that!

Mary

someone 17-08-2007 09:37 PM

ID please!

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Hi Mary, it looks like it could possibly be a Psithyrus rupestris, one of
the darker bees. Not sure, though. OTOH it could be a Bombus lapidarius,
but their bums are oranger, however their wings are more transparent. I'd
go for the first.

HTH :-)

someone

someone 17-08-2007 09:47 PM

ID please!

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Or it could be a Psithyrus (Bombus) sylvestris.

s.

Mary Fisher 17-08-2007 09:52 PM

ID please!

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Hi Mary, it looks like it could possibly be a Psithyrus rupestris, one of
the darker bees. Not sure, though. OTOH it could be a Bombus
lapidarius, but their bums are oranger, however their wings are more
transparent. I'd go for the first.

HTH :-)

I'd say it was definitely not a bombus (I have some knowledge). It IS
bee-like, perhaps a Psithyrus ...

Mary

someone

someone 17-08-2007 10:52 PM

ID please!

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Hi Mary, it looks like it could possibly be a Psithyrus rupestris, one
of the darker bees. Not sure, though. OTOH it could be a Bombus
lapidarius, but their bums are oranger, however their wings are more
transparent. I'd go for the first.

HTH :-)

I'd say it was definitely not a bombus (I have some knowledge). It IS
bee-like, perhaps a Psithyrus ...

You're undoubtedly right, Psithyrus seem a bit skinnier while Bombus are
fatter, more circular. All we can say is that they're all Apoidea.

Personally, I'm having trouble identifying the bugs (Heteroptera) in my
garden. There seem to be so many different ones.

A discussion for another day, perhaps.

Regards,

someone

Jane Doe 17-08-2007 11:38 PM

ID please!

3 Attachment(s)

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:07:49 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Something close to Senecio - but since there are lots of Senecios and
former Senecios that isn't much help.

Perhaps you could post more pictures and your locality.
--

09=ix

Thank you so much for trying, here are a few more that I just took. I've
deliberately left my foot in one of the photos to show just how large the
leaves are.

Many thanks,
Mariana
New Jersey, Monmouth County.

someone 18-08-2007 01:40 AM

ID please!

"Jane Doe" wrote in message

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:07:49 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Something close to Senecio - but since there are lots of Senecios and
former Senecios that isn't much help.

Perhaps you could post more pictures and your locality.
--

09=ix

Thank you so much for trying, here are a few more that I just took. I've
deliberately left my foot in one of the photos to show just how large the
leaves are.

The leaves make me think it's a Ligularia.

someone

Jane Doe 18-08-2007 02:37 AM

ID please!

The leaves are not the same as a Ligularia I'm afraid :(

Mariana

"someone" wrote in

Jane Doe 18-08-2007 02:40 AM

ID please!

On second thought I apologize seems like it is a Ligularia, Ligularia
'Desdemona' that is! :)

Thank you very much for the help.

-Mariana

Garrapata 18-08-2007 07:33 AM

ID please!

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:40:38 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

On second thought I apologize seems like it is a Ligularia, Ligularia
'Desdemona' that is!

Used to be Senecio (Senecio clivorum?)
Looks like a good plant. I've grown Ligularia 'Rocket' but it was never
happy with our alkaline water and soil.

--
09=IX
Prunedale California

Mary Fisher 18-08-2007 09:10 AM

ID please!

"someone" wrote in message

You're undoubtedly right, Psithyrus seem a bit skinnier while Bombus are
fatter, more circular. All we can say is that they're all Apoidea.

Yes, and the perspective doesn't help.

Personally, I'm having trouble identifying the bugs (Heteroptera) in my
garden. There seem to be so many different ones.

I can't help there at ALL!

A discussion for another day, perhaps.

Yes.

Now, who knows what the flower is?