Old 17-08-2007, 05:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default ID please!

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

Attached Thumbnails
ID please!-garden-034a.jpg
Old 17-08-2007, 05:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Old 17-08-2007, 06:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:07:49 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Something close to Senecio - but since there are lots of Senecios and
former Senecios that isn't much help.

Perhaps you could post more pictures and your locality.
--

09=ix
Old 17-08-2007, 08:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:10:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

I may be wrong but I guess it is a Bumble Bee.
Old 17-08-2007, 09:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

I may be wrong but I guess it is a Bumble Bee.

I've never seen one like that!

Mary

Old 17-08-2007, 09:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Hi Mary, it looks like it could possibly be a Psithyrus rupestris, one of
the darker bees. Not sure, though. OTOH it could be a Bombus lapidarius,
but their bums are oranger, however their wings are more transparent. I'd
go for the first.

HTH :-)

someone

Old 17-08-2007, 09:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Or it could be a Psithyrus (Bombus) sylvestris.

s.

Old 17-08-2007, 09:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Hi Mary, it looks like it could possibly be a Psithyrus rupestris, one of
the darker bees. Not sure, though. OTOH it could be a Bombus
lapidarius, but their bums are oranger, however their wings are more
transparent. I'd go for the first.

HTH :-)

I'd say it was definitely not a bombus (I have some knowledge). It IS
bee-like, perhaps a Psithyrus ...

Mary

someone

Old 17-08-2007, 10:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message
newsJjxi.20$ze.1@trnddc07...
Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Thank you in advance,
Mariana

And I would appreciate an ID for the insect :-)

Mary

Hi Mary, it looks like it could possibly be a Psithyrus rupestris, one
of the darker bees. Not sure, though. OTOH it could be a Bombus
lapidarius, but their bums are oranger, however their wings are more
transparent. I'd go for the first.

HTH :-)

I'd say it was definitely not a bombus (I have some knowledge). It IS
bee-like, perhaps a Psithyrus ...

You're undoubtedly right, Psithyrus seem a bit skinnier while Bombus are
fatter, more circular. All we can say is that they're all Apoidea.

Personally, I'm having trouble identifying the bugs (Heteroptera) in my
garden. There seem to be so many different ones.

A discussion for another day, perhaps.

Regards,

someone

Old 17-08-2007, 11:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:07:49 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Something close to Senecio - but since there are lots of Senecios and
former Senecios that isn't much help.

Perhaps you could post more pictures and your locality.
--

09=ix

Thank you so much for trying, here are a few more that I just took. I've
deliberately left my foot in one of the photos to show just how large the
leaves are.

Many thanks,
Mariana
New Jersey, Monmouth County.

Attached Thumbnails
ID please!-garden-057.jpg   ID please!-garden-053.jpg   ID please!-garden-055a.jpg

Old 18-08-2007, 01:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Jane Doe" wrote in message

"Garrapata" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 16:07:49 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

Would appreciate getting an ID for this lovely plant.

Something close to Senecio - but since there are lots of Senecios and
former Senecios that isn't much help.

Perhaps you could post more pictures and your locality.
--

09=ix

Thank you so much for trying, here are a few more that I just took. I've
deliberately left my foot in one of the photos to show just how large the
leaves are.

The leaves make me think it's a Ligularia.

someone

Old 18-08-2007, 02:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

The leaves are not the same as a Ligularia I'm afraid

Mariana

"someone" wrote in

Old 18-08-2007, 02:40 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On second thought I apologize seems like it is a Ligularia, Ligularia
'Desdemona' that is!

Thank you very much for the help.

-Mariana

Old 18-08-2007, 07:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:40:38 GMT, "Jane Doe" wrote:

On second thought I apologize seems like it is a Ligularia, Ligularia
'Desdemona' that is!

Used to be Senecio (Senecio clivorum?)
Looks like a good plant. I've grown Ligularia 'Rocket' but it was never
happy with our alkaline water and soil.

--
09=IX
Prunedale California
Old 18-08-2007, 09:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"someone" wrote in message

You're undoubtedly right, Psithyrus seem a bit skinnier while Bombus are
fatter, more circular. All we can say is that they're all Apoidea.

Yes, and the perspective doesn't help.

Personally, I'm having trouble identifying the bugs (Heteroptera) in my
garden. There seem to be so many different ones.

I can't help there at ALL!

A discussion for another day, perhaps.

Yes.

Now, who knows what the flower is?