Old 20-10-2007, 02:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Fungophiles among the files?

I'm looking to ID a mushroom that's appeared in one of the gardens here.
I've been picking wild mushrooms for food (*and* for other uses) for over 30
years, and ordinarily I'm pretty good at this stuff, but this one has me
fully stumped. My only reasoned guess is that it's a Lepiota of some
sort... but I've never seen this one even if it is, and no matter what the
genus may be, I'm unable to find anything much like it in any of my books or
other refs.

~5" wide, ~5" tall, with free gills and no volva and only very slight base
enlargement, full and partial veils *both* appear to leave rings (if I'm to
judge by the mushroom at the left of the photo, at least)... growing in a
fertile-but-acid, heavily-shaded garden bed that's mostly been taken over by
ivy for several years. I've taken a large cap sample for spore-printing,
but there's little hope of a good print before tomorrow afternoon.

So, ummmm... is there *anyone* out there who can offer me a
prospective/conditional ID... or at least a good clue?
--
Michael Muirhead
Vancouver, BC

Attached Thumbnails
Fungophiles among the files?-100_6137-1-.jpg