Old 17-12-2007, 01:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default What is this?

Anyone have a clue as to what this is called,
I took it to a nursery and they claimed it was an Ardisia, but not so,
Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
What is this?-dscf3888.jpg
Old 17-12-2007, 02:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

It looks like a type of mimosa pudica, aka sleeping grass, aka sensitive
plant. The kind I've seen has sharp thorns, and is sensitive to touch. When
I was on Guam many years ago, it grew everywhere, making it hazardous to go
barefoot.

Old 17-12-2007, 03:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Zoot" wrote in message
It looks like a type of mimosa pudica, aka sleeping grass, aka sensitive
plant. The kind I've seen has sharp thorns, and is sensitive to touch.
When I was on Guam many years ago, it grew everywhere, making it hazardous
to go barefoot.

Thanks for the reply, I think it is some sort of mimosa, but it doesnt have
thorns nor are the leaves sensitive to touch

I will keep looking

Thanks
frosty

Old 17-12-2007, 05:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"George W. Frost" wrote:

Anyone have a clue as to what this is called,
I took it to a nursery and they claimed it was an Ardisia, but not so,
Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me

Thanks

begin 666 DSCF3888.JPG
[Image]

end

Looks like some type of acacia/mimosa???
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 17-12-2007, 06:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:09:58 GMT, "George W. Frost"
wrote:

Anyone have a clue as to what this is called,
I took it to a nursery and they claimed it was an Ardisia, but not so,
Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me

Thanks

Compare to this picture

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

or

http://tinyurl.com/3dehka

Old 17-12-2007, 09:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"George W. Frost" wrote
Anyone have a clue as to what this is called,
I took it to a nursery and they claimed it was an Ardisia, but not so,
Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me

The N. Americans call it Mimosa others (most of the rest of the world) call
it the Silk Tree and use the name Mimosa for Acacia dealbata. A good example
of why Latin names are so important.

Correctly it's Albizia julibrissin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia_julibrissin

There are red flowered varieties and dark red leaved varieties too although
I've not seen a flowering sized one of the latter.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 17-12-2007, 12:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

Anyone have a clue as to what this is called,
I took it to a nursery and they claimed it was an Ardisia, but not so,
Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me

Thanks

Compare to this picture

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN

or

http://tinyurl.com/3dehka

Yes, that's it, well, almost it, but mine doesnt have the bee in it,
Thanks all for your replies and the tree is a Persian Silk Tree as I have
since found out, a mimosa plant

Old 31-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W. Frost View Post
Anyone have a clue as to what this is called,
I took it to a nursery and they claimed it was an Ardisia, but not so,
Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me

Thanks
Generally known in the UK as Albizia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albizia