GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   California Towhee looking for a meal (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/179188-california-towhee-looking-meal.html)

Paddy's Pig[_3_] 14-10-2008 06:11 AM

California Towhee looking for a meal

1 Attachment(s)

Mary Fisher 14-10-2008 11:57 AM

California Towhee looking for a meal

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Tell me, is that 'ow' element pronounced as in 'cow' or as in 'low' ?

And thanks, what an elegant bird!

Mary

3Putt in Coastal SC 14-10-2008 12:11 PM

California Towhee looking for a meal

Is this a sub-species of the Spotted Towhee only seen in California? It
looks a lot like the female towhee we have around here.

Paddy's Pig[_3_] 14-10-2008 03:12 PM

California Towhee looking for a meal

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Tell me, is that 'ow' element pronounced as in 'cow' or as in 'low' ?

As in low.

And thanks, what an elegant bird!

You're welcome.
--
Pat Durkin

Paddy's Pig[_3_] 14-10-2008 03:21 PM

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Is this a sub-species of the Spotted Towhee only seen in California?

As I understand it, it is a distinct species. Both male and female have the
same dull brown coloration which can range from fairly light as seen here to
a darker hue.
--
Pat Durkin

3Putt in Coastal SC 14-10-2008 11:26 PM

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Is this a sub-species of the Spotted Towhee only seen in California?

As I understand it, it is a distinct species. Both male and female have
the same dull brown coloration which can range from fairly light as seen
here to a darker hue.
--
Pat Durkin

Sorry Pat. I didn't look far enough. It's in Sibley's. Calls it "chunky".