Old 14-10-2008, 06:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default California Towhee looking for a meal

Attached Thumbnails
California Towhee looking for a meal-california-towhee-looking-meal.jpg
Old 14-10-2008, 11:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message

Tell me, is that 'ow' element pronounced as in 'cow' or as in 'low' ?

And thanks, what an elegant bird!

Mary

Old 14-10-2008, 12:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Is this a sub-species of the Spotted Towhee only seen in California? It
looks a lot like the female towhee we have around here.

Old 14-10-2008, 03:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

Tell me, is that 'ow' element pronounced as in 'cow' or as in 'low' ?

As in low.

And thanks, what an elegant bird!

You're welcome.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 14-10-2008, 03:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Is this a sub-species of the Spotted Towhee only seen in California?

As I understand it, it is a distinct species. Both male and female have the
same dull brown coloration which can range from fairly light as seen here to
a darker hue.
--
Pat Durkin

Old 14-10-2008, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Paddy's Pig" wrote in message
"3Putt in Coastal SC" wrote in message
Is this a sub-species of the Spotted Towhee only seen in California?

As I understand it, it is a distinct species. Both male and female have
the same dull brown coloration which can range from fairly light as seen
here to a darker hue.
--
Pat Durkin

Sorry Pat. I didn't look far enough. It's in Sibley's. Calls it "chunky".