Old 23-01-2009, 09:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Flowers: - Rose-Bicolor-2.jpg (1/1)

2008

Attached Thumbnails
Flowers: - Rose-Bicolor-2.jpg (1/1)-rose-bicolor-2.jpg
Old 23-01-2009, 02:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Donn Thorson wrote:
2008

Donn,

Just a friendly suggestion. You need to post your pictures in a smaller
format so all of us can enjoy them. I don't know what software you use
(it looks like you just post them right from the camera) but there are
lots of free software packages that will allow you to post them in a
"internet friendly" size.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 23-01-2009, 03:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bill R wrote:
Donn Thorson wrote:
2008

Donn,

Just a friendly suggestion. You need to post your pictures in a smaller
format so all of us can enjoy them. I don't know what software you use
(it looks like you just post them right from the camera) but there are
lots of free software packages that will allow you to post them in a
"internet friendly" size.

More advice:

To change the display size, resize the photos to 1600x1200 pixels or
smaller. Some of the packages mentioned by Bill will do this
automatically, but it's worth it IMO to learn elementary image
processing. Changing image sizes is basic.

WARNING: Changing the pixel dimensions will destroy some of the picture
information, so do _not_ do this with the original picture. Always use a
working copy for making changes to an image. (Create Working Copies
folder, and copy the images to to it.)

OTOH, changing the resolution (DPI) does affect the way a picture
prints. You may find the following useful.

To change the "per resolution" printout size, change the resolution
(DPI). This does not change the image information in any way, but i
would still use w working copy, not the original.
-- to increase the "per resolution" print, decrease the resolution (DPI)
-- to decrease the per resolution print, increase the DPI.

NB that the software and printer driver between them take care of
mismatches between resolution and "fit to page" or "size for document"
printing. To get better looking pictures in a document, increase the
resolution. Don't reduce the image to fit a column, for example, by
resizing its pixel dimensions.

It pays to experiment, make test prints, and record pixels dimensions,
resolution, software and printer settings for each test print. When
you've found a combination that works for you, you can set and forget.

HTH
Old 23-01-2009, 04:44 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 04:20:27 -0500, Donn Thorson
wrote:

2008

Sweet!!
Old 24-01-2009, 11:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Wolf K wrote:

Bill R wrote:
Donn Thorson wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
The purpose of the size of the images and the reason why I post these
photos is for you can see the detail. They start out as 2048x1536px 10MP
10-15MB RAW images saved in Apple Apeture; and then are made into JPEG's
and are modified in Photoshop CS3 (using the Noise Ninja plug-in and
saved for the Web at ?500K...but in the process losing some overall
contrast and detail)...I can make them smaller (in physical size) if you
all wish this or are having difficulty viewing them. Let me know.
....Thanks, keep the advice and comments coming!

Donn

Old 24-01-2009, 12:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 06:02:47 -0500, Donn Thorson
wrote:

Thanks,
The purpose of the size of the images and the reason why I post these
photos is for you can see the detail. They start out as 2048x1536px 10MP
10-15MB RAW images saved in Apple Apeture; and then are made into JPEG's
and are modified in Photoshop CS3 (using the Noise Ninja plug-in and
saved for the Web at ?500K...but in the process losing some overall
contrast and detail)...I can make them smaller (in physical size) if you
all wish this or are having difficulty viewing them. Let me know.
...Thanks, keep the advice and comments coming!

Donn

I enjoy big well done photos such as yours. Post smaller if you want
for some as I have seen people do on other ngs but put your best here.
I am one of many in the group that likes them.