GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Id these flowers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/185389-id-these-flowers.html)

Freedom_Spark 02-07-2009 03:58 PM

Id these flowers?

Hi there, my dad was given a rose bush when one of his friends died, around the bottom there was another plant growing, it's been established for a few years now & it's beginning to spread a little more, I'd like to know what these are called to find out a little more about them. Thanks.

beccabunga 02-07-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom_Spark (Post 854191)
Hi there, my dad was given a rose bush when one of his friends died, around the bottom there was another plant growing, it's been established for a few years now & it's beginning to spread a little more, I'd like to know what these are called to find out a little more about them. Thanks.

Fuchsia magellanica - a good staple flowering shrub which goes underground in winter. I would try to untangle the roots and plant it away from the rose.

Bob Hobden 02-07-2009 11:19 PM

Id these flowers?

"beccabunga" wrote

Freedom_Spark;854191 Wrote:
Hi there, my dad was given a rose bush when one of his friends died,
around the bottom there was another plant growing, it's been
established for a few years now & it's beginning to spread a little
more, I'd like to know what these are called to find out a little more
about them. Thanks.

[image:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n.../IMG_0711.jpg]

Fuchsia magellanica - a good staple flowering shrub which goes
underground in winter. I would try to untangle the roots and plant it
away from the rose.

Not always, ours was not even knocked back by last winter which was the
coldest for many years, yes the leaves dropped as usual but in the spring
the stems all sent out new leaves/shoots so it's getting taller and taller
year on year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Freedom_Spark 03-07-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 854200)
Fuchsia magellanica - a good staple flowering shrub which goes underground in winter. I would try to untangle the roots and plant it away from the rose.

Quote:

Not always, ours was not even knocked back by last winter which was the
coldest for many years, yes the leaves dropped as usual but in the spring
the stems all sent out new leaves/shoots so it's getting taller and taller
year on year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden