GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help Please ID Purple Flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/185776-help-please-id-purple-flower.html)

Herb Schneider 16-07-2009 02:39 PM

Help Please ID Purple Flower

1 Attachment(s)
I would very much appreciate someone identifying this plant. The photos
were taken in Central Park, NY in July, 2009. The closest I can match it to
is peppermint but the leaf looks too long and slender and smooth on the
edges.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Herb

Bob Hobden 16-07-2009 11:08 PM

Help Please ID Purple Flower

"Herb Schneider" wrote ...
I would very much appreciate someone identifying this plant. The photos
were taken in Central Park, NY in July, 2009. The closest I can match it
is peppermint but the leaf looks too long and slender and smooth on the
edges.

Certainly it's a Buddleia davidii variety, take a look at "Attraction" or
maybe "Black Knight" or "Royal Red" if the photo isn't showing true colour.
www.daytonnursery.com/.../Buddleia.htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Herb Schneider 17-07-2009 04:18 PM

Help Please ID Purple Flower

Radar,

That is definitely the plant!!! Thank you so much for identifying it for
me. I don't know why it isn't listed in my Peterson Field Guide. Do you
have any suggestions as to what you think is a better field guide?

Thanks again, I've been searching for a week to find out what flowere it is
and you identified right away. Impressive...

Herb

Herb Schneider 17-07-2009 04:24 PM

Help Please ID Purple Flower

Thanks to Basketweaver and Bob Hobden as well as Radar for the assistance.
I am a newcomer to this group and I'm very impressed with the friendliness
and cooperation of its members. I hope that sometime I will be able to
reciprocate.

Herb

Travis 18-07-2009 05:09 PM

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:29:01 -0400, Basketweaver wrote:

Buddleia davidii (commonly called butterfly bush)

"Herb Schneider" wrote in message
I would very much appreciate someone identifying this plant. The photos
were taken in Central Park, NY in July, 2009. The closest I can match
it to
is peppermint but the leaf looks too long and slender and smooth on the
edges.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Herb

It is a weedy/invasive shrub in many parts of the world.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington