GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   iris pseudacorus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/203750-iris-pseudacorus.html)

Willi 28-05-2012 08:36 AM

iris pseudacorus

1 Attachment(s)
This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

joevan[_3_] 28-05-2012 11:25 AM

iris pseudacorus

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:36:22 +0200, Willi wrote:

This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

How well I remember my grandmothers irises and roses. We did a lot
together when I was a little boy. Raised pheasants, had wonderful
gardens, killed chickens for dinner and plucked them. But I remember
mostly the irises she had next door to our house.

Willi 29-05-2012 07:49 PM

iris pseudacorus

Am 28.05.2012 12:25, schrieb joevan:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:36:22 +0200, wrote:

This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

How well I remember my grandmothers irises and roses. We did a lot
together when I was a little boy. Raised pheasants, had wonderful
gardens, killed chickens for dinner and plucked them. But I remember
mostly the irises she had next door to our house.

You told a very nice story. It is also my grandmother, whom I owe my
so-called green thumb. ;)
G Willi

Willi 29-05-2012 07:49 PM

iris pseudacorus

Am 28.05.2012 13:50, schrieb Sj:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:36:22 +0200, wrote:

This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

Nice one :)

Sj

Thanks :)

Steve[_2_] 13-11-2012 05:46 AM

iris pseudacorus

On 5/28/2012 3:36 AM, Willi wrote:
This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

I had 4 big clumps of Iris pseudacorus growing in the corner of my
property. This early summer, when they were in bloom, my neighbor
noticed them and reported them to the Department of Environmental
Conservation. It took nearly 2 months, but eventually the DEC sent
people over. They cut them down and applied some sort of herbicide on
the stubs so they would die. Knowing those plants, I bet they will grow
back.

Steve

Willi 13-11-2012 04:25 PM

iris pseudacorus

Am 13.11.2012 06:46, schrieb Steve:
On 5/28/2012 3:36 AM, Willi wrote:
This year I.pseudacorus and I.germanica flowered at the same time and I
tried to cross-pollinate some. So I didn't pick off the faded flowers
for the photo. Usually Iris pseudacorus flowers later and the flowering
periods do not overlap.

G Willi

I had 4 big clumps of Iris pseudacorus growing in the corner of my
property. This early summer, when they were in bloom, my neighbor
noticed them and reported them to the Department of Environmental
Conservation. It took nearly 2 months, but eventually the DEC sent
people over. They cut them down and applied some sort of herbicide on
the stubs so they would die. Knowing those plants, I bet they will grow
back.

Steve

They are native here (Austria, Central Europe). I don't know any in wild
nature around here though as they prefer rather swampy grounds like the
sides of ponds for example. According to my experience they expand less
than other irises in rather dry soil.