Old 14-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User

Default lilies

How do I store lily bulbs over winter? I have had trouble with lily beetle this summer , is there any way to prevent this problem next year?
Old 14-09-2012, 05:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"CarolBarlow" wrote

How do I store lily bulbs over winter? I have had trouble with lily
beetle this summer , is there any way to prevent this problem next year?

I assume you are in the UK. Usually gardeners in the UK leave the lily bulbs
in the soil permanently. They hate being lifted and dry out damaging them.
In the spring you have to ensure new growth is not damaged by slugs as it
emerges. Lily Beetle is an annual war now, I usually pick them off daily as
being bright red they are easy to see. Their larvae are more difficult and
do more damage and cover themselves with their own poo so look like a bird
dropping but usually underneath a half eaten leaf. If you get to the stage
where they are everywhere, or you don't fancy picking them off, it isn't
nice, then spray with a suitable chemical and a systemic is best.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-09-2012, 02:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Wolf K" wrote

, Bob Hobden wrote:
"CarolBarlow" wrote

How do I store lily bulbs over winter? I have had trouble with lily
beetle this summer , is there any way to prevent this problem next year?

I assume you are in the UK. Usually gardeners in the UK leave the lily
bulbs in the soil permanently. They hate being lifted and dry out
damaging them. In the spring you have to ensure new growth is not
damaged by slugs as it emerges. Lily Beetle is an annual war now, I
usually pick them off daily as being bright red they are easy to see.
Their larvae are more difficult and do more damage and cover themselves
with their own poo so look like a bird dropping but usually underneath a
half eaten leaf. If you get to the stage where they are everywhere, or
you don't fancy picking them off, it isn't nice, then spray with a
suitable chemical and a systemic is best.

The gardening expert on or weekly phone-in show recommends a solution of 20
parts water, 1 part washing up detergent, put it in a spray bottle, and
spray the little beasts. The detergent reduces the surface tension, so the
water draws into their spiracles by capillary action, which drowns them.
This even works on sacle insects, apparently, but I've never had to try
that.

I use that for scale on our citrus trees, water and a squirt of washing up
liquid in a large sprayer kept pumped up to full pressure and blast them off
starting at the top and working your way down the plant. You get soaked
yourself though.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.