GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fish Pond Project-6510 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/205813-fish-pond-project-6510-a.html)

Maroochy[_4_] 25-11-2012 09:10 AM

Fish Pond Project-6510

1 Attachment(s)
Clearing away an overgrown section of our yard, I found a large hole in the
ground, not sure why it was there, it was full of dead branches etc. I
wasn't sure what to do about it, then I thought it maybe a good place to put
in a fish pond. So for the past month or so, we've removed all the vines,
most of the cordylines and weeds. We used the hole as a fire pit for a
couple of weeks, burning off all the stuff we'd cut down/removed.
Then we lined the hole with a plastic liner, edged it with rocks. Due to a
miscalculation it wasn't as level as I wanted it, so I built up one end with
clay I removed from our dam overflow. I don't know how many times I removed
rocks, added more soil, put rocks back, wasn't happy, so removed rocks,
added more soil, put rocks back. :-) As it turned out, the liner was about 4
inches too short on one side, so I can't get it quite the way I wanted, but
I will learn to live with it I guess, plus hopefully when the ferns grow
they will hide the parts that annoy me. It's now almost finished, though I
still have quite a few finishing touches to do.
This is how it went, the beginning, all overgrown cordylines, passionfruit
vines, cat's claw creeper vines, walking iris and mondo grass.