Old 30-07-2005, 05:21 AM
brsher

Default Small Tomatoes

I planted beefstake and big beef tomatoes. I have a pretty good yield so
far as numbers but most of them are very small, probably 2 to 3 inches in
diameter.
Does anyone have an idea why they are so small. I've fertilized a few times
and also used Miracle Grow Soil.

Old 30-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Cereus-validus.......

You got ripped off by the place you bought them.

Maybe some helpful customer switched plant labels and you are the fortunate
one to buy the mislabeled plants?!!!!

All the fertilizer in the world won't change a thing.

Old 31-07-2005, 04:22 AM
B & J

"brsher" wrote in message
I planted beefstake and big beef tomatoes. I have a pretty good yield so
far as numbers but most of them are very small, probably 2 to 3 inches in
diameter.
Does anyone have an idea why they are so small. I've fertilized a few
times and also used Miracle Grow Soil.

I have noticed small size in my tomatoes this year, too. Ordinarily the
biggest, smoothest, and largest quantity ripen from the tenth to the end of
July. This year the weather was extremely hot and dry, which I blame for the
problem, even though I keep them watered regularly in their raised bed where
they are mulched with a layer of straw. I would surmise that the heat really
did a number on them because I have raised good tomatoes in drought years.

No, this had nothing to do with a mix-up of tags in the store. I purchased
and started my own seeds from a reputable provider from which I've always
had good luck. They were the same varieties that I usually grow with the
exception of one plant.

JPS