Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
Ben

Default Catalpa growing too fast?

I grew this Northern Catalpa from a cutting about 4 years ago. This
spring the top 7- 8 inches (last years growth) see the picture, started
to bud out but died. There were plenty of shoots below that and I let
the top one grow. It has now grown 4 feet from that point.
The trunk is =BE" thick below the new shoot and above. I'm afraid
now that it has grown too fast (soft) and might now survive an Eastern
Ontario winter.
Last year I removed all but 3 levels of leaves as it grew (there are
always 3 at each level). I'm not doing that this year because I have
the feeling that the top did not survive because I forced it. Does
anybody have any experience with this tree?

img
src=3D"http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/Treacan/Garden/Swale010.jpg"

[IMG] code is On

Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM
Catalpa tree bentcajungirl Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Catalpa tree bentcajungirl Lawns 6 06-04-2003 01:20 PM
Catalpa leaves and seed pods in a gully. Cdonahey41 Gardening 2 22-03-2003 09:44 PM