Old 04-08-2005, 01:37 PM
enigma

Default looking for suggestions

i live in zone 5b NH, there are microclimates in the yard that
go to zone 7 apparently (i have a lovely southern species
magnolia, for example), but the area that needs help is most
likely a zone 5.
it is slightly boggy (a real PITA to mow because it's so
soggy), shaded until mid afternoon & at the bottom of a hill.
currently it grows Joe Pye weed, boneset, water hemlock,
grapes, Chinese bittersweet, wild black raspberries & lots of
jewelweed (touch-me-not). i rip out purple loosestrife every
time i see it. there is a willow tree & 2 pines that need to
come down. cutting the pines *may* allow more light in the
morning. the area is along the road at the front of the
property & there is a stone wall somewhere in the weeds.
i need suggestions for shrubs & low maintainance, preferrably
perennial, non-invasive plants to put in there so we don't
have to mow. it would help if they plants were also non-toxic
to goats, as we sometimes put the goats into the wooded area
next to this area to eat the poison ivy & underbrush. also,
our dug well is on one edge of the area so i don't think
ornamental willow is a great idea... unless the ornimental or
basket willows don't suck up as much water as the weeping
willows?
oh, the area is about 30' x 150'. i can do a pH test, but i'm
guessing it's pretty acidic.
TIA
lee

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old 04-08-2005, 06:08 PM
simy1

cattails and bog blueberries will provide you with some natural beauty,
quality food, and good adaptation to acid, boggy soils. you might
consider cranberries as well.