Old 06-08-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Azaleas hate me

Some thrive, some don't, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
But on to my current disaster. Typical stress, or worse, indicators
are droppy leaves, first in one section but now spreading. Water is
not the issue. It's planted in peat moss, which is the same as I've
used for the azaleas that are doing well. Gets virtually no sun. Is
there anything that can be done to give it a chance to survive?
Redlands, CA.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 PM

Peat moss is not soil.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Charles

On 6 Aug 2005 14:07:24 -0700, "
wrote:

Some thrive, some don't, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
But on to my current disaster. Typical stress, or worse, indicators
are droppy leaves, first in one section but now spreading. Water is
not the issue. It's planted in peat moss, which is the same as I've
used for the azaleas that are doing well. Gets virtually no sun. Is
there anything that can be done to give it a chance to survive?
Redlands, CA.

More it to a cooler climate.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:18 AM
paghat

In article .com,
" wrote:

Some thrive, some don't, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.
But on to my current disaster. Typical stress, or worse, indicators
are droppy leaves, first in one section but now spreading. Water is
not the issue.

If the wilting azaleas were recently planted (this would be entirely the
wrong time of year to plant them) they wouldn't have had time to set out
roots before the summer heat arrived & shrivelled them right up. If it is
extremely hot & with low humidity, even if in partial shade they could be
suffering from the untimely planting, as the root system is not well
enough established to keep ahead of moisture loss from the leaves.

In Redlands you could safely plant azaleas in autumn, winter, or early
spring. They cannot be so safely planted in late spring or in summer where
summers are hot.

It's planted in peat moss,

You mean a percentage of peatmoss mixed in the soil?? If planted in
peatmoss it would have no nutrients to sustain itself.

which is the same as I've
used for the azaleas that are doing well. Gets virtually no sun.

A few azaleas are genuinely shade shrubs, but usually BRIGHT shade, & the
majority would want full sun part of the day or most of the morning. Even
those that thrive for foliage in shade won't set buds for the following
year's flowering. If your "successes" with no sun at all are less than two
years in the ground, then they probably bloomed from buds that were set
the year before you planted them, & they'll not bloom as well again while
in such deep shade.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he