GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhodendrins with buds NOW? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/101233-rhodendrins-buds-now.html)

Fragile \Joseph\ Warrior 10-08-2005 11:06 PM

Rhodendrins with buds NOW?

I just bought some end-of-the-season rhodendrins (read: cheap) and I noticed
that some have buds on them. From past experience, I know that this
sometimes leads to them blooming after planting -- IN THE FALL. So, here's
my question: do I cut back the buds? Or do I just leave them be and hope
the buds overwinter until spring?

Lynn 11-08-2005 12:17 AM

That is how I bought mine last year. end of season with buds. I just planted
it in a shady area gave it lots of water and it bloomed nicely this spring
no problems. I am in a zone 5

--
:) Lynn

[email protected] 11-08-2005 02:18 AM

If you cut them off, your plant wont flower in the spring. This is
normal for rhodies- they bloom in spring, grow vegetativley, then set
buds for next year.

Toad

gconn77 12-08-2005 08:42 AM

That is fine... I would just leave them alone. I am pretty sure that
they will bloom in next spring. Post the question in my Garden and
Housplant Forum. The website is http://gconn77.com/smf/