Old 17-08-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Buddleia Question

I bought two buddleia this year, an "Ellen's Blue" and a "Pink
Delight." The "Pink Delight" has grown quite tall with 5 or 6 giant
plumes of flowers (each 12"-18") The "Ellen's Blue" has produced dozens
of flowering plumes (each about 6") but the plant is only about half
the height of the "Pink Delight." I planted them nest to eahc other
and it looks a little strange. The Ellen's Blue was a more mature
plant when I bought it. Can planting depth explain this behavior? Is
it the way the "Ellen's Blue" was pruned? How can I encourage the
Ellen's Blue to grow taller?
thanks.

Old 18-08-2005, 01:49 AM

ellens blue is supposed to be a more compact plant, maturing at 4-5
feet in height. Pink delight is much larger, at 6-10 feet. Though
plants rarley read thier own tags, you definitley should before buying
them so that you know what to expect.

Toad

Old 18-08-2005, 03:50 AM
paghat

In article .com,

ellens blue is supposed to be a more compact plant, maturing at 4-5
feet in height. Pink delight is much larger, at 6-10 feet. Though
plants rarley read thier own tags, you definitley should before buying
them so that you know what to expect.

Toad

Wow - how insiteful! However, both plants tags said 4-6' and online
websites confirm that (some say Ellen's Blue is 4-5 feet and Pink
delight is 4-6). I didn't see anywhere saying Pink Delight is 6-10 and
the tag certainly didn't...

The averages Toad stated are correct. Catalogs tend to describe average
mature size, not maximum size; for trees tags often state the ten-year
height, which befuddles beginners who thought their fir tree was going to
stop growing at ten feet cuz the tag said so.

Buddlea davidii 'Pink Delight' easily exceeds ten feet, & can get quite a
lot bigger than that if not hard pruned. Ellen's Blue grows more slowly,
more compactly; it is is hybridized with the smaller Buddleia fallowiana &
will get substantial with time but nowhere near as big as Pink Delight.

Catalogs tend to underestimate the size even of the semi-dwarfs because
vendors know fewer would be sold to gardeners with small yards if they
fully realized how big most of these butterfly bushes can get.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 18-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Ben

Tags?Tags?Tags?

[IMG] code is On

Butterfly bush (Buddleia) how prune? - My Dilemma Ian Gardening 10 23-05-2003 02:32 AM
multi-colored Buddleia courtault at yahoo.com Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia Annabel United Kingdom 2 17-02-2003 09:31 AM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM
Need advice on pruning a buddleia GR United Kingdom 2 11-02-2003 10:08 PM