Old 20-08-2005, 02:41 AM

Default HELP needed with Plant ID

Please help me identify the plants in an area I planted wildflower
seed last fall.. I planted an area last fall aprox 40' x 200' with
wildflower and wild grass seed. I believe I planted much of it too
deep, and the Bluestem grass never did come up. This spring It looked
like I had a lot of purple coneflower and blackeyed susan seedlings
coming up...... Then the white sweet clover showed up. I still had a
good understory of plants and gave up on pulling the sweet clover when
it was between waist and chest high. Believe it or not, there was
still plants down bellow. Then I hit some of the high clover with
roundup, thinking it wouldn't make the understory. ..... Well, when
the high clover turned brown their wasn't much alive down bellow
either. maybe just had enough of insufficient light to keep going.

anyway. I have taken some pictures in areas where I pulled the clover
or mowed over it. I need help identifying the plants in the pictures,
especially the ones with the jagged edge leaves, This group wouldn't
let me attach photo's. The leaves are aprox the same size of purple
cone flower leaves some are same general shape, others are rounder.
All have a jagged edge. The plant or seedling is same structure as a
coneflower. They did not flower. (I understand that many perennials
take 2 yrs to flower, but don't know if these are weeds or flowers.

I went to the library and looked online but could not find a picture
database of flower seedlings and young plants to compare with ( at
least not by shape)

If they are weeds, I guess I will have to hit the whole thing with
roundup and replant this fall or next spring. I was hoping I
wouldn't have to do this. I also have interspersed the area with
iris, daisies, cornflowers, etc. I can't stand the thick, high
clover...

Please help.

Thank you.
Old 20-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Travis

[...]

Post the pix in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5