Old 21-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Judith Althouse

Default Fish odor in my Central Florida yard/gaden

Hi,
I posted here long ago just prior to moving home to Floirda. I have
come here to visit this site but haven't posted since then.
I need help. I live in Central Florida near Lake Weir, in the middle
of the state between the Gulf and Ocean.
I have very dry sandy soil, huge Oak trees therefore 80 percent shade.
No matter how much rain we get I never have standing water. I have
sandy soil and live on a slight angle so the water drains toward the
lake.
Anyway, of late I have noticed a fishy odor that I cannot seem to
identify. I have 3 dogs so that was my first clue. One of them came in
smelling fishy and I determined the remains of a fish in the yard. My
theory ? Perhaps an Osprey snatched it from the lake and ate it in a
Pine Tree in my back yard....no more fish remains and still that vague
odor. That had never happened before and I don't know that to be true
(My Osprey theory) I noticed a couple Earthworms in the large
container of water I keep outside for the dogs and thought perhaps that
was the problem (that had never happened before) as I have a fisherman's
paradise of beds of worms in the Oak leaves in the front yard.
I live within sight of the Lake. I do not have access it is not as if
fish would get washed ashore from where I live.
I have also noticed an abundance of snails suddenly. They are
everywhere, eating my plants, crawling up the house and windows.
I do not claim to be an ace gardener. My yard is mainly sand with a
few sprigs of grass and piles of damp leaves. Most plants that I grow
successfully are in containers.
Well, I hope I gave you enough info for a diagnosis and I hope I did
not ramble on too long...When I open my door for a split second I get
that waft of fish or perhaps it is just a sour smell that I am confusing
with a fish odor??
Finally, it is not my dogs sneaking out and going down to the lake and
rolling in fish remains. (smile) We have been there, done that,
before I fixed the fence after first moving here....
Does anyone have any ideas? I am tired of 3 stinking dogs and curious
about what is causing it.
Thanks for reading thru this. I thank you in advance for any help I
can get.

Be Free,
Judy

Old 24-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Judith Althouse

PS I live in Zone 9 and we are about to get more rain (lots) Tropical
storm Katrina, somehow I think my mess/odor is water/snail
related...Please Help!!!!
Thanks to all

Be Free,
Judy