Old 23-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Dawn

Default help ID the giant spiders in my garden!

Does anybody know what kind of spider this is?

http://www.reddawn.net/temp/Dscn1078.jpg

That pic is only slightly larger than real life, btw. Spider is a good
2" across.

He's camped in the middle of my brussels sprouts. Got a big web about a
foot and a half across. Looks like he's been eating well. My garden is
in Missouri, near Kansas City.

Dawn
Old 23-08-2005, 12:30 AM
Frank Logullo

"Dawn" wrote in message
Does anybody know what kind of spider this is?

http://www.reddawn.net/temp/Dscn1078.jpg

That pic is only slightly larger than real life, btw. Spider is a good
2" across.

He's camped in the middle of my brussels sprouts. Got a big web about a
foot and a half across. Looks like he's been eating well. My garden is
in Missouri, near Kansas City.

Garden spider:
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL...ow_argiope.htm

Old 23-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/23/05 2:43 PM, in article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Dawn" wrote in message
Does anybody know what kind of spider this is?

http://www.reddawn.net/temp/Dscn1078.jpg

That pic is only slightly larger than real life, btw. Spider is a good 2"
across.

He's camped in the middle of my brussels sprouts. Got a big web about a
foot and a half across. Looks like he's been eating well. My garden is in
Missouri, near Kansas City.

Nice one!

That is handsome fellow (more likely gal). I'm looking forward to an ID
since I have them too!

Cheryl

Old 24-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Suzy O

"Dawn" wrote in message
Does anybody know what kind of spider this is?

http://www.reddawn.net/temp/Dscn1078.jpg

That pic is only slightly larger than real life, btw. Spider is a good
2" across.

He's camped in the middle of my brussels sprouts. Got a big web about a
foot and a half across. Looks like he's been eating well. My garden is
in Missouri, near Kansas City.

doubt this guy (or gal) is what's been eating your brussels sprount, though.
Spiders typically eat other "bad" insects.

Suzy O

Dawn

Old 24-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Dawn

Suzy O wrote:

doubt this guy (or gal) is what's been eating your brussels sprount, though.
Spiders typically eat other "bad" insects.

Oh, no, she had herself a nice wide web with lots of caught bugs bundled
up. I'm sure she wasn't eating the sprouts. There's lots of other stuff
doing that.

Dawn

Old 25-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Suzy O

When I replied, I thought you were saying "she" was eating your brussel
sprouts. Now that I'm clear on what you meant, we agree -- she's eating
insects, and that's a good thing.
Suzy O