GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do Grubs kill the lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/104617-do-grubs-kill-lawn.html)

**Developer** 13-09-2005 04:23 PM

Do Grubs kill the lawn

Do grubs kill the lawn. I know they attract varmints like voles that do kill
parts of a lawn, but do grubs themselves eat the grass or roots?

Thanks

Vox Humana 13-09-2005 04:57 PM

" **Developer**" wrote in message
Do grubs kill the lawn. I know they attract varmints like voles that do

kill
parts of a lawn, but do grubs themselves eat the grass or roots?

They eat the roots. It is a matter of numbers. Lawns can sustain a
moderate infestation of grubs. There comes a point where damage becomes
significant and the lawn spirals downward.

Lar 13-09-2005 05:12 PM

In article ,
says...
:) Do grubs kill the lawn. I know they attract varmints like voles that do kill
:) parts of a lawn, but do grubs themselves eat the grass or roots?
:)
:)
:)
:) Thanks
:)
:)
:)
The way you can tell grub damage to the lawn is the dead area is
basically sitting on the soil like a throw rug. You will be to pick it
right up. All I have seen has been in areas of the lawn rather than the
entire lawn...probably a 6'x 10' section is the largest I have seen.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

**Developer** 13-09-2005 05:23 PM

Thanks

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

Alan Sung 15-09-2005 01:58 PM

Even if they don't kill the grass plant directly, the grass becomes
more susceptible to drought damage or other lawn diseases (i.e. fungi).

-al sung
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

**Developer** 15-09-2005 08:04 PM

If they eat the roots why wouldn't that kill the plant. Is it that they do
not eat the top most part of the roots because they are not at the surface.

So if I lift a plant and see roots one inch long, I might still suspect
grubs?

Thanks

ups.com...