GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OK: Wet compost in insulated container with aeration, (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107415-ok-wet-compost-insulated-container-aeration.html)

Drew 26-09-2005 02:05 AM

OK: Wet compost in insulated container with aeration,

Mostly grass clippings.
How can I tell when the process is done ?
I.E. When the pathogens and seeds are dead ?
Drew

[email protected] 26-09-2005 02:23 PM

To get the heat you would need to kill seeds and pathogens is going to
require about 1cu yd of compost as a minimum.

Compost is "done" when you no longer recognize the ingrediants that
went in.

Seems to me you are making too much work out of this. I defy anyone to
pile up damp organic material and have it not rot.

Drew 26-09-2005 03:28 PM

What about the Grass Seeds ?
How do I kill them ?
drew

Doug Kanter 26-09-2005 08:48 PM

"Drew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mostly grass clippings.
How can I tell when the process is done ?
I.E. When the pathogens and seeds are dead ?
Drew

It's going to get mushy in the center, probably within a couple of days.
It's best to find some dried fluff to mix in. Will leaves be falling soon
where you live?

Drew 27-09-2005 12:05 AM

Yes. I live in Eastern Ohio, Leaves are falling from my Red Maple
already. There are a lot of trees in the neighborhood and i plan to use
them as a winter cover.
drew

Doug Kanter 27-09-2005 02:21 PM

"Drew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes. I live in Eastern Ohio, Leaves are falling from my Red Maple
already. There are a lot of trees in the neighborhood and i plan to use
them as a winter cover.
drew

Put some in a pile and go over them with your lawnmower to turn them into
flakes. Easier if you have a bag attachment, but not necessary. Mix with the
grass, about half & half.

Drew 27-09-2005 04:34 PM

Thank you.
Drew