Old 15-10-2005, 05:54 PM
madgardener

Default an update on John Skeffington!!!

I have copied this word for word. I can't hardly see the screen for the
tears.
madgardener

Friday October 14th, 2005 sent 12:43 a.m. 10/15/05

"What a wonderful day!!! When I went in at 8 this morning John smiled at me
and said hi.. Later in the day he wanted to give me a kiss and then
another. The nurse asked if maybe I could get him to drink an orange
medication that was the consistency of cough syrup. I put a straw in the
cup and he sucked up half of it before he realized how awful it tasted. I
tried to get him to take more but he said "Tastes terrible, Barb." That was
the first time he had said my name since Monday.

After his bath I was able to get him to take some more of it and followed
it with some water. Mind you, on Thursday, he didn't open his eyes, drink or
eat anything and they could not get him to take any pills. As the day
progressed today, John became more aware, expressive, talkative, able to
move himself into different positions for comfort. Shortly after noon I
asked the aides if they could get him out of bed and into a chair for awhile
because he seemed so uncomfortable in bed. I assured them that either I or
a friend would be sitting with him.

At 4:30 I picked up Snippet, had her pee on the hospital lawn, and then
smuggled her in. A tote bag worked great. I put her on his chest and he
beamed from ear to ear and said "How's my puppy. Little Snippet". Of
course she gave him some kisses! And finally he said "She smells like a
puppy." After about 15 or 20 minutes I told the aide (who knew I was going
to bring in Snippet) that John would need to go back into bed because I
would not be there to watch him while I went home. He had been sitting in
the chair almost 5 hours!! She reported that he then asked to stand for
awhile and then just sit in another chair. So they had just gotten him in
bed when I returned.

Shortly thereafter John's only surviving sister and her two daughters
arrived. He recognized all three and called them by name. He tried to add
a few words to the conversation every so often between short naps

All the prayers and the 2 medications helped get him get part way out of the
light coma he was in. I had a day that we did not expect to have. It gave a
glimmer of hope that maybe we will have some more time together. Who knows
what tomorrow will bring?

I have company in the house and Snippet is in one arm. Typing one handed is
not easy. I will say goodnight. Thank you for caring and all your kind
thoughts and prayers.
Barb"

Old 15-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Bill

[...]