Old 18-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Thorpe

Default Time of Year to Plant Clematis

I've done some google searches and understand everything about planting
Clematis except what's the best time of year.....I'm putting some fruit
trees, bulbs, and bamboo in the next 6 weeks or so....can I do the
clematis too or do I waite for srping? Thanks

Old 18-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Thorpe wrote:
I've done some google searches and understand everything about planting
Clematis except what's the best time of year.....I'm putting some fruit
trees, bulbs, and bamboo in the next 6 weeks or so....can I do the
clematis too or do I waite for srping? Thanks

You don't say where you are located. Here, in zone 4b (Canadian), we
plant clematis in the spring. In the fall, we cut back the hardy ones
(or not, depending on variety) in September/October.

HTH

Old 19-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

Thorpe wrote:
Sorry, I'm in southern Maryland, that's zone 7A.

OK, then I would say that you can plant clematis now. The main
consideration for fall planting is how soon (if ever) you will have a
killing frost, since that will stop growth on most winter-hardy plants.
You also want reasonably warm day-time temperatures, ie, 45-50 degrees F
or better. There should be enough time, a month or so, for the plant to
develop its root system, which means that the leaves must still do some
photosynthesis. Apply some bone meal or other high-phosphorus
fertiliser, too, and water enough to keep the spoil moist but not
sopping wet. Check whether your variety of clematis wants acid or basic
soil, and amend if necessary. NB that clematis should go through a
period of dormancy in the depth of winter.

HTH&GL