Old 21-10-2005, 06:14 PM
db

Default Newbie advice...daffodils, iris, cana, and lillies (oh my!)

We moved into our house last Winter and decided to let a full growing
season go by before tackling the gardens. The previous owner had quite
an assortment of perennials (lillies, daffodils, irises, and patch of
cana). As for what specific types of each, I have no idea. Most came
up and bloomed but we still had many that never flowered. They all
seem to be really packed in and I think they need to be spaced out.
What are my options in terms of replanting and perhaps moving some of
them? I know I'm running out of time before we get our first frost (I
think we're in zone 7A - northern virginia). After that, I know
there's really nothing I can do until Spring. How much longer do I
have this season?

Any suggestions or general tips? I'd hate to lose what we already have
in the ground and I think what's there can be used as a great start.
Hopefully I won't do too much damage through the learning process.

Also, if there are any basic guidelines for rose bushes, I'd appreciate
hearing them. We have a few scattered bushes that are pretty small,
but flowered very nicely. There's also an out of control bush that is
being crowded by the iris patch. Should I trellis it? I'm just
generally not sure what to do in terms of rose pruning and maintenance

Thanks in advance for your help. (as you can see I need lots of it!)

-Dave B.

Old 26-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Vox Humana

"db" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

In zone 7, you should be able to plant or transplant spring flowing bulbs
now (if you can find them). I think it is too late to be moving iris, but
they are very tough plants and you MAY have some success dividing now. It
would be better to move them next year a few weeks after they have bloomed.
I think a good target date is around Labor Day or a bit earlier. You can
lift and divide the cannas now, put them in plastic lined boxes, and store
them in a cool (45 - 60F) location, and plant next year. Don't seal them in
a plastic bag as they need to breath. You could also just leave them in the
ground and divide and replant them next spring. They can be divided and
replanted around the last frost date for your area.

Roses are another story. I generally just prune them minimally in the fall
to prevent breakage from wind damage over the winter. In the spring you can
do a more drastic, careful pruning. I would recommend that you look at some
books or website on how to prune roses. Also, you need to determine what
type of rose you have. It wouldn't be a good idea to trellis a hybrid tea
rose. Some climbers bloom on lateral growth from previous year, so
indiscrimate pruning will eliminate flowers.