Old 30-10-2005, 01:20 PM
tjones8611

Default Bulbs ? ?

I recently received some Azure Alliums, Snow Crocus, and Red Dynasty
Tulip Bulbs, however, I am not sure when I should plant them. I assume
I should do it now?? Can anyone confirm? I am in Zone 7, Chattanooga,
TN. Also, is there any problem with planting all these in the same
small garden?

Thanks,
Scott

Old 30-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Doug Kanter

"tjones8611" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently received some Azure Alliums, Snow Crocus, and Red Dynasty
Tulip Bulbs, however, I am not sure when I should plant them. I assume
I should do it now?? Can anyone confirm? I am in Zone 7, Chattanooga,
TN. Also, is there any problem with planting all these in the same
small garden?

Thanks,
Scott

Plant them RIGHT NOW. They'll bloom in spring. As far as whether they belong
together (size, color, etc), you'll have to do some research on your own.
This bulb vendor may have some clues: www.whiteflowerfarm.com. There are
plenty of others.

Old 31-10-2005, 06:38 AM
madgardener

also try www.johnscheepers.com they are awesome with pictures of quite a LOT
of bulbs!
madgardener

Old 31-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Gary & Karen

According to Rebecca Garden on tv, the bulbs should be planted when night
temps are consistently below 40 degrees.

Good luck

Gary

Old 31-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Doug Kanter

"Gary & Karen" wrote in message
According to Rebecca Garden on tv, the bulbs should be planted when night
temps are consistently below 40 degrees.

Interesting guideline, but air temperature is not necessarily indicative of
soil temperature in a given spot. Exposure to sun, proximity to warming
factors like the house foundation, elevation relative to higher or lower
places in the yard, all these things will have an effect.

Unfortunately, the gardener may have to listen to extended weather
forecasts, read actual paper books (from a library) about the species he
intends to plant, and then simply DO IT. Work, thinking, common sense, and
risk, in other words.

Old 31-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Persephone

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:38:26 -0500, "madgardener"
wrote:

also try www.johnscheepers.com they are awesome with pictures of quite a LOT
of bulbs!
madgardener
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"tjones8611" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently received some Azure Alliums, Snow Crocus, and Red Dynasty
Tulip Bulbs, however, I am not sure when I should plant them. I assume
I should do it now?? Can anyone confirm? I am in Zone 7, Chattanooga,
TN. Also, is there any problem with planting all these in the same
small garden?

Thanks,
Scott

Plant them RIGHT NOW. They'll bloom in spring.

Is this true of our Mediterranean climate (So. Calif coastal) -- I
mean, plant them right now? I just bought some bulbs (Watsonia
Snowbell) at the Huntington plant sale, and haven't a clue.

This is my first time with bulbs.

[...]

Persephone

Old 31-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

[...]

The best place to ask would be a local garden center (not Wal-Mart, etc.,
but a true garden center.) They should be selling plants appropriate to
your are and can answer your specific questions. You probably realize that
some bulbs require pre-chilling before planting in warm climates or they
won't bloom. You can often buy them already chilled or you can do it
yourself.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:08 AM
Persephone

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:29:20 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I bought these at the Huntington Botanical Gardens. I asked about
chilling, but the person who sold the bulbs said that the Watsonia
Snowball didn't require chilling like tulips.

Guess I'll call/email them to check on planting times.

Persephone

--

Mom/Sara

[IMG] code is On

bulbs lois Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Spring Bulbs Greg Gardening 2 04-02-2003 02:48 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Ponds (alternative) 1 30-01-2003 05:21 AM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 02:52 AM
an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets j Gardening 0 29-01-2003 09:55 PM