GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frost on the Hibiscus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/108782-frost-hibiscus.html)

Richard Miller 05-11-2005 03:33 PM

Frost on the Hibiscus

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I
wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags
over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when
there is sunlight?

Richard

Cereus-validus-........... 05-11-2005 06:38 PM

Frost on the Hibiscus

Whatever floats your boat.

You must have a lot of free time on your hands.

It would be wiser to just move the plants indoors.

Charles 05-11-2005 07:08 PM

Frost on the Hibiscus

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:33:14 -0700, "Richard Miller"
wrote:

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I
wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags
over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when
there is sunlight?

Richard

If you miss a night, get out before the sun hits the plant and wash
off the frost with water. Old trick I learned from an old gardner
long ago.

T.L.Miller 06-11-2005 05:09 AM

Frost on the Hibiscus

In article Ki4bf.13865$gj1.752@fed1read05, Richard Miller
wrote:

I live out here in the Phoenix area and I have some young Hibiscus and I
wanted to know if the temp. drops below 32 degrees, could I put garbage bags
over the hibiscus when I go to bed and take them off in the morning when
there is sunlight?

Frost is only ice crystals and it forms around 32°. The important
thing is to protect tropical hibiscus from freezes -- 32 and below. You
cover a plant to trap the ground heat to prevent the plant from
freezing. Some people will put lights under a blanket when a severe
freeze is coming to keep the temperature up. Beware of causing a fire
with the lights.